My Alumacraft 15x42 MOD--Update 18 FEB 10

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassm1

Reaction score
Hello and thanks for having me. This is the first time I've attempted to join a forum so hopefully this works. I've always wanted a boat to get off the bank and on the water and I finally got some extra money to pursue this endeavor. Thanks to this site and ithers like it, along with all the info that is shared, I finally decided to jump in and get my feet wet with modifying my jon boat. The boat is a 1542 Alumnacraft I purchased from Academy along with a trailer. I picked up a used 30hp Evinrude from a Gov't (TPWD)auction that I will also attempt to get running. Again, thanks for all the ideas and info, I'll be posting pics of the project as soon as I get that part figured out too. Best wishes.Resized1.JPGResized2.JPGResized3.JPGResized4.jpgDeck.JPGFront Deck Carpet.JPGSidewalls.JPGFrontdeckSidewallFit.JPGSisewallFloorboardFit.JPGFrontDeckStorage.JPGCenterConsole.JPGcenterconsolestorage.JPGJohnJr2.JPGJohnJr.JPG

looks great! you kid looks stoked to get out on the water.

Did you cut the bench seats down by about half and reinforce them to maintain rigidity?

Nice craftsmanship there, looks professional! The only thing i might worry about it the wood you are using, not too sure about how it's going to hold up in the long run. I guess I'm just prejudice against that stuff since I used to build houses with that stuff.

You wouldn't be following "The Hydrilla Gorilla" CD by chance would you? I have that guys CD from way back and it looks pretty close to the layout in the CD. I used that as a spring board and then found this place. =D> To the creators of this web site! If would have found this years ago i wouldn't have had to bought that CD.

Victor Coar said:
That is great looking work! I can't wait to see the finished boat!

Thx, I hope to have it finished by this fall, with school starting up and the job, had to slow down a bit, you know how it is sometimes. Thx again. Hope I replied coreectly. Still learning.

Waterwings said:
Nice work, and pics! Do you plan on adding pedastal seats? Welcome Aboard! 8)

Yes Sir, I think those will look nice and add to the functionality of the whole rig once completed. Thx again.

Nickk said:

Did you cut the bench seats down by about half and reinforce them to maintain rigidity?

Yeah, Jr. is ready to get on the water too. Thx for mentioning the rigidity issue, I didn't consider that at the beginning but now you have me thinking. I am also considering adding a rear deck now that I've seen some of the other projects on "tinboats". Thx for the heads up.

brewfish said:
Nice craftsmanship there, looks professional! The only thing i might worry about it the wood you are using, not too sure about how it's going to hold up in the long run. I guess I'm just prejudice against that stuff since I used to build houses with that stuff.

You wouldn't be following "The Hydrilla Gorilla" CD by chance would you? I have that guys CD from way back and it looks pretty close to the layout in the CD. I used that as a spring board and then found this place. =D> To the creators of this web site! If would have found this years ago i wouldn't have had to bought that CD.

Thx for the kind comments, yeah I found that CD back in Apr 08 when I first got the boat. Now that I have found tinboats.net I have come across a few ideas I would like to implement for my project like the rear deck and maybe side storage. Ditto, if only I had found this site first.

bassm1 said:
Nickk said:

Yeah, Jr. is ready to get on the water too. Thx for mentioning the rigidity issue, I didn't consider that at the beginning but now you have me thinking. I am also considering adding a rear deck now that I've seen some of the other projects on "tinboats". Thx for the heads up.

As far as rigidity, those side panels are going to be attached to the wall with pop rivets, sheetmetal screws right? I would think that would make a big difference with the rigidity as well as keep the boat from wanting to torque \ twist one way or the other.

Nice job! I'll agree with Brew on using OSB, I know it's cheaper than plywood, but doesn't hold-up to constant exposure nearly as well.

THe pics of your boy remind me of when I was his age & always "helping" dad with his projects, as well as fishing. Keep it up because you two are making memories that will last a lifetime! :beer:

ST

Hey guy's and gals, here's and update to my bost project. I posted some pics so if you don't mind, please be gentle, I kinda went a little cheap on the seats and pedestals due to back to school and all that. But, I figured they would give me a good start and I'll more than likely upgrade them when more funds are available. All I really have left to do is install and route the wiring, most of the interior flooring is removable so hopefully I don't have to many issues running the wiring and of course the accesories will come in time, like a fish/depth finder and trolling motor, radio and other goodies.

Well, thanks again for all y'alls help and I welcome your suggestions and input.

Attachments

• PaintingRearDeck.jpg
    PaintingRearDeck.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 5,007
Okay, I finally have time to upload pics of the slow but sure progress we( the kids and I) are making on the boat. So far, I got the 1984 30hp Evinrude running. I won off a TPWD auction back in July '08. It's my first outboard so I really had no idea what condition it was in or would be in but I bought the repair manual and went to work on it. I replaced the spark plugs, fuel lines, rewired the power pack, removed and cleaned the carb. and replaced to gear oil. After all that, it actually started on the first freakin pull. It was suggested that I change out the impeller so that will be next. Anyway, here are the pics of the boat and please, be nice to my home made stencil for the outboard top cover:)

Attachments

• bighelpers.JPG
    bighelpers.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 1,916
  • seats.jpg
    seats.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 1,922
  • helpers2.JPG
    helpers2.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 1,907
  • storage.JPG
    storage.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 1,925
  • seats1.JPG
    seats1.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 1,915
  • reardecklid.JPG
    reardecklid.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 1,929
  • reardeck3.JPG
    reardeck3.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 1,921
  • reardeck1.JPG
    reardeck1.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 1,943
  • front.JPG
    front.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 1,940
  • Evinrude.JPG
    Evinrude.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 1,910
  • deckbrace.JPG
    deckbrace.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 1,947
  • 30hp1984Evinrude.JPG
    30hp1984Evinrude.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 1,931
Nice job man looks like you got lots of great help there. Now go take um fishin you all deserve it after all that hard work.

Dave

Latest posts