Battery for electric boat, us older guys or back problems

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gnappi

Reaction score
I initially bought a full size group 27 95Ah battery but moved it to my backyard solar system because it was just too heavy to lug in and out of the truck (I hand launch from the truck bed) to the boat and decided that less is more.

I bought three group U1 35Ah solar / wheelchair AGM batteries and installed two of the Minn Kota RED/Black wire connectors on each cell. One connector to run the TM the other for my fabricated dashboard containing power for the dash and switching for running lights, bilge pump, and depth sounder. When one cell gets to ~12 volts I switch connectors to the second cell and a third cell as backup. Two or three 22 lb batteries are FAR easier to manage than a single 65 lb. behemoth.

Add to this the smaller cells are ~$55 (harbor freight with 20% coupon) each making the (3x35Ah=110Ah) MUCH less expensive than my $310 big cell was. My aging back thanks me every time I heft one of the smaller cells :)

Performance on the smaller vs. larger cells is identical AND distributing weight in my Lowe 1040 is really a plaesure.

Food for thought for us aging boaters or those with back problems and electric only boats.

Other benefits of two or even three batteries are weight distribution, and in my case with the third cell separate power for accessories like a depth finder, bilge pump, lighting etc.

Latest posts