trolling motor prop

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cntryislandboy

Reaction score
i busted the prop on my trolling motor and in looking to replase it i have come to the conclusion i am about lost. i had no idea there where so many different ones to choose from. they are anywher from $17 to $29 so what do i need to look for, or just get the cheapest one? will it really make a difference? oh its for a minn kota 30 an older model not sure exactly which one it came with the boat i just bought

yeah thats what it looks like, i'll read the package a little more to find out abou the hub size and take the old one off when i go the store can't hurt to eye it up

Once you figure the size you need you should get a die-cast aluminum one. My buddy bought one after busting two props in one year, and it works great. He uses a shear pin just in case he catches a log the pin will break instead of the TM, and he carries extra pins with him. I found one to fit my TM and will be ordering myself one soon. Here's the website he got it from: https://www.youngprops.com

I thought the aluminum props were made for more of the 36v motors...

I don't see why it wouldn't work, just seems like you might use a little more power and run your batts down faster using that

CatBasser said:
Once you figure the size you need you should get a die-cast aluminum one. My buddy bought one after busting two props in one year, and it works great. He uses a shear pin just in case he catches a log the pin will break instead of the TM, and he carries extra pins with him. I found one to fit my TM and will be ordering myself one soon. Here's the website he got it from: https://www.youngprops.com

If your shear pin lets loose - how do you get your prop back :shock:

On my buddy's TM, mine also, the pin fits in a groove on the back of the prop and the prop is secured with a plastic wing nut. As far as only been for 36V motors I haven't seen anything and I did find one for my old MK 35W, which is a 12V. But like you said russ010 it might run your battery down faster, but I haven't noticed a big difference on my buddy's. I figured I would give them a shot, they cost a little more but if I only have to buy one then it might be worth the price.

The aluminum props that I have seen are for old motors that came with that style to begin with and new motors with really high thrust/voltage.

I've broken two three blade props in the last two years because of my cover stressing the blades over the winter. I just put a 2 blade power prop on it so that the blades don't contact the cover anymore. It won't be nearly as weedless but I don't strike out through the aquatic jungle anyway.

If you want a prop that will give you better handling in the wind and 10 to 15% more thrust try a Kipawa prop.They have a great warranty and their props are very reasonable,about the same if not less than a factory replacement prop.I have one on a Minn Kota 80 on the bow and a one on my 101 on the stern.https://www.kipawapropellers.com/

I had the kipawa prop and didnt think it was all that great.
The mateal props as far as motor guide goes are for the 36 volt motors
The new sarfari prop is pretty weedless for a 2 blade prop

Latest posts