portable transducer idea

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

senkosam

Reaction score
I use different trolling motors depending on the aluminum boat I choose and don't want to have to change transducer mounts from tm to tm or mount it permanently on a transom. So, I came up with this idea:

IMG_4762.JPG
I use non-slip tape on the clamp and bent bracket (Xmas wreath holder Al).

Note: the transducer is supposed to be 1' below the water line, but I keep it even with the bottom of the boat so as to not hit the bottom in shallow water.

Keep a lookout for a trashed transom mount trolling motor. Salvage the clamp-on mount and shaft, toss the motor and control head, and mount your transducer on the bottom of the shaft. You have an adjustable transducer mount, ready to use on almost any boat, no matter the distance from the gunwale to the water line.

Roger

I've got a cable operated trolling motor that has the transducer mounted to it so I can just sit or stand and work it side to side.

Never seen one and don't expect to.
I find that surprising. I have two "stems" hanging in the (hobby) shop from motors that have gotten water in them, sat idle for too long, and corroded to dung. I would think that you could have stumbled across one SOMEwhere. Then again, if you don't have an interest in looking for a trashed trolling motor, you won't notice one.

Roger

Why would I? My 4 trolling motors, some 20 years old, work fine and I've never trashed any in the past.
Either I gave them away or sold them for a song. None of my fishing buddies ever had one laying around that needed to be trashed and I don't have a clue where to find them. Needle in a hay stack.
Plus the difficulty of mounting something far heavier other than a few small pieces of wood, aluminum holder and rachet grip wouldn't interest me.

Keep a lookout for a trashed transom mount trolling motor. Salvage the clamp-on mount and shaft, toss the motor and control head, and mount your transducer on the bottom of the shaft. You have an adjustable transducer mount, ready to use on almost any boat, no matter the distance from the gunwale to the water line.

Roger

Funny, yesterday I saw an old Shakespeare trolling motor at a garage sale. Didn't even look to see how much they wanted.

There are a lot of transducer mounts for kayaks that are similar concepts to @senkosam's version.

Why would I? My 4 trolling motors, some 20 years old, work fine and I've never trashed any in the past.
Either I gave them away or sold them for a song. None of my fishing buddies ever had one laying around that needed to be trashed and I don't have a clue where to find them. Needle in a hay stack.
Plus the difficulty of mounting something far heavier other than a few small pieces of wood, aluminum holder and rachet grip wouldn't interest me.
What ever works best for you....however, if weight is an issue, my bet is an old trolling motor frame will be less weight than your contraption. In our area we find old worn out trolling motors all over un flea markets, garage sales and even a couple set out for trash day. Now that I think about it....might just grab a couple....this damb article now has my mind running.....

Never seen one and don't expect to.
Marketplace and craigslist have them all the time, often with a bunch of other junk they are trying to get out of the garage.

The problem is, the motor will usually work. Then you have to decide whether you want the motor or the mount more.

Being portable is a great idea, not sure the hand clamp is a good idea though...
Why?

4 different boats (one is a 15' canoe) and 2 different trolling motor 2 shaft lengths.

Last edited:
Made a portable fish finder set up that’s worked well for me to use between my jon boat, row boat and fishing kayak.

Attachments

• IMG_6725.jpeg
    IMG_6725.jpeg
    112.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_8859.jpeg
    IMG_8859.jpeg
    151.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 91A8C7F6-62E4-4AA2-B0A6-4A6390D65E0B.jpeg
    91A8C7F6-62E4-4AA2-B0A6-4A6390D65E0B.jpeg
    72.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1079.jpeg
    IMG_1079.jpeg
    98 KB · Views: 1

Roger
Thats exactly what I have done. Works very well, however a little note: I find it a wee bulky if one has to hike a ways through the brush to a stashed boat.