• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate toTinBoats.net and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Custom rods

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onthewater102

Reaction score
Mudhole is running a great deal on a really outstanding line of graphite rod blanks at the moment, so I figured I'd put a thread out for anyone interested. These High Modulus blanks that are 35% off now are comparable to some of the very best blanks available on the market.

A custom rod isn't for everyone, but I've made a number for myself and learned they're an excellent way for me to cherry pick where I spend my money in the equipment I use - namely, the best blank I can reasonably afford and attaching to it durable lightweight guides that won't take away from its sensitivity by adding a lot of unnecessary weight, but I can build them to anyone's taste. On my setups I keep the reel seat and grips as lightweight and inexpensive as possible, using split grips with very little design embellishment (using bare winding checks as transitions from the blank to the grip, lightweight inexpensive components like EVA vs. cork, etc.) - but, again, I've built more ornate setups to the buyer's specification with a lot of cosmetic amenities - all a question of taste and cost.

Some of the thread work I've done on rods for various people (all pictures taken before epoxy applied):

LLfWKt9.jpg

rfwWina.jpg

bgBfZkP.jpg

Q49inW9.jpg

9qOkCNL.jpg

fRFXmhn.jpg

iX260en.jpg

PJZOerd.jpg

A few pictures of what I'm calling spartan split grips:

XDHEGAx.jpg

The blanks used in these rods weighed 2.7oz. The casting rods finished weighed 4.5oz - I didn't weigh the spinning setup in the mix.

HVi6UtA.jpg

x5nqfJO.jpg

HaPvk2L.jpg

Re3qOuY.jpg

It's a bit of an involved process, you'd be amazed at how many little component options are available for customization. If you're interested shoot me a PM to discuss what you're looking for and from there I can give you an estimate for what it will cost - but for a rod built on a $100 blank, a minimalist grip and zirconia ceramic guides (an intermediate in quality between Fuji Alconite guides and their high end SiC guides) the complete setup would be approximately $250. The same setup with Fuji Torzite guides (best available on the market) would be approximately $350. These MHX blanks are lighter than St. Croix SCV series, so the final product could potentially be comparable performance-wise to commercial rods in the $450+ range.

Working on a "thin blue line" themed rod for a police officer. Started with the butt wrap tonight:

eV1KzmA.jpg

Two sections of the grip waiting for epoxy to set. I love the cutout on that grip exposing the blank for a spinning rod like you can find in the trigger grips used on casting rod. Using a split grip and a two part reel seat (to maximize the exposed blank) slows the build process down because the rear section of the seat needs to be clamped up against the grip.

The butt wrap is about the only fanciness in this build. Using EVA foam grips and vinyl winding checks to minimize weight.

VUVSg7d.jpg

Clamping the rear section of the reel seat into position so the epoxy can set:

av73mla.jpg

I use fiberglass wallboard tape to build up the area the Reel seat Barrel mounts to in a split grip. It allows the epoxy to make it all the way to the blank in a more uniform way than making wrappings from masking tape as the epoxy can permeate all of the fiber tape. I was taught to do it this way, as opposed to using a foam insert arbor, as the epoxy does not permeate the foam creating an opportunity for it to break free and spin.

aklFkAS.jpg

I appreciate the craftsmanship that goes into your rods. Last time I built a rod I used a hardback book as the thread tensioner and had a long board with finish nails in a "V" pattern to hold the blank. Rotated it by hand.

I built my hand wrapping setup from some scrap wood I had around the basement from other projects, a few shower door rollers, and some other odds and ends from a hardware store. All in I don't think it cost me more than $15. I bought a dryer motor and chuck on ebay and mounted it to more scrap wood, probably the most expensive part of the whole setup at $20. I still use that for all the butt wraps, but I eventually acquired a power wrapper to help me when I get orders for multiple rods and need to turn them around relatively quickly. It's still a slow process, with the split grips especially, usually takes me three or four nights working after I get kids to bed to finish one.

All finished I did a little bit of thread work on the blank just in front of the grip where I added the hook keeper and a Punisher Thin Blue Line decal. The guide wraps were mainly black with a little metallic blue accent on the stripping and reducing guides. Hard to see the accents against all the dark surroundings but this is what he wanted.

Complete with a complementary rod sock and delivered it today.

f7EYMdG.jpg

Close up of the Punisher logo set on the blank and coated with the guide wrap epoxy to protect it.
puSZX7e.jpg

Accent wraps in blue metalic alongside the black thread used in the guide wrap.
9AUh1OM.jpg

8MjUotN.jpg

Another week, another project rod. 7'2" heavy power mod/fast action configured as a spinning rod with double foot guides except for the tip action which will have single foot guides.

Simple small diamond weave in the buttgrip with a red underwrap.
xCTrjP2.jpg

I had onthewater102 build me a custom rod last year. I wanted a 6-foot spinning broomstick for skipping baits DEEP under docks and overhangs. The design process and Q&A for what I wanted exactly in terms of feel, colors, parts were communicated excellently and the end result was craftsmanship that was tops. I love this rod. The beauty and versatility of this rod actually surprised me, because at the moment it is being used as a weightless stick bait slinger.

When I build my next when I will give onthewater102 a shout out again.

When onthewater102 abandons his full-time job and becomes the defacto custom rod builder he will become TinBoats official custom rod building sponsor! :wink:

For whatever reason I cannot find any pictures of that rod Jim, though I know I took them as I was going. Perhaps they were just local on my old cell phone. That was the black and silver theme to it right?

Progress this weekend was minimal. I got through the fore grip on that red wrapped rod, but there was a mix up in the parts order and the stripper guide that was delivered was a size 40 rather than a size 30...so yeah, it's on hold until the correct part comes in.

I've got four other rods in the works, but 3 of them are held up waiting for reel seats and guides on back order and the other is waiting on cosmetic components for the grip, also back-ordered. Must be a lot of rod building activity out there as of late.

Parts delivered today...back at it once again last night and tonight. Used a set of double foot guides initially last night, but really wasn't happy about the weight the old school progressive layout added from all those huge guides so...i cut 3 guides off and re-wrapped smaller double foot guides in a rapid choke layout using the fuji guide placement software. Design change requires I get more size 6 double foot guides and a few more single foot ones.

A true heavy power freshwater spinning rod:

XxqvSYG.jpg

Another thin-blue-line themed rod finished with a 3rd in the works:

M5Ypp2yl.jpg

And three rods out of a matched set of 4 (4th was delivered earlier)

FufFhRcl.jpg

love all the thin blue line rod. nice work if ic ould afford one i would get a custom
onthewater102 said:
Two sections of the grip waiting for epoxy to set. I love the cutout on that grip exposing the blank for a spinning rod like you can find in the trigger grips used on casting rod. Using a split grip and a two part reel seat (to maximize the exposed blank) slows the build process down because the rear section of the seat needs to be clamped up against the grip.

The butt wrap is about the only fanciness in this build. Using EVA foam grips and vinyl winding checks to minimize weight.

VUVSg7d.jpg

Latest posts