10/23/10 Potomac river

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdd5p

Reaction score
It's been nice to see several reports from my area on here, so I figure it's time I start contributing too. Met my buddy at Leesylvania state park to do some catfishing about 3 pm. Soaked the gill net for about 15 minutes and it had 3 nice gizzard shad, about 8 channel cats, and 2 largemouth bass. (Bycatch was released unharmed). We figured we would set it back out and get a couple more shad. Pulled in absolutely nothing this time. Those 3 would have to do since we were losing valuble fishing time. We tried a few spots not too far from where we got bait... no bites. Around 6:00 we decided to try a spot we had some success the other time we had fished the river. Not long after getting our baits in the water I had a nice one on. Not sure of the weight because our scale only goes to 50 lbs. Shortly after releasing that one I decided to check the bait on my other line and a 43 lb'er nailed it as soon as I started reeling. After getting a photo and releasing that one it was unfortunately time to head home. As we were packing it in my buddy hooked up with a 9 lb. Hey, at least he didn't get skunked. Anyways, I know the first spot we will be trying next time.

Attachments

• 1023101832.jpg
    1023101832.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG00161.jpg
    IMG00161.jpg
    298.9 KB · Views: 275
Nice cats...Mind if I ask where you were fishing @ Leesylvania? As a side note, I recently learned that any fish caught on the Potomac River is considered a Maryland fish, so your 50+ fish was definitely close to a state record (MD state Blue Cat is only 67). Were you targeting cats in particular or just whatever would take a big shad? Also....wanna go fishing sometime? I'm trying to get a few more fishing buddies in the area.

one100grand said:
Nice cats...Mind if I ask where you were fishing @ Leesylvania? As a side note, I recently learned that any fish caught on the Potomac River is considered a Maryland fish, so your 50+ fish was definitely close to a state record (MD state Blue Cat is only 67). Were you targeting cats in particular or just whatever would take a big shad? Also....wanna go fishing sometime? I'm trying to get a few more fishing buddies in the area.

The area we got into those was straight out from the boat ramp in the center of the channel, right in the middle of a field of crab pots. I always wonder how a state record in there would work since I fish with a VA license. I think I heard MD is going to stop recoginzing blues as a game fish and consider them an invasive species. We were targeting trophy blues. We use hunks of shad about the size of your palm. I'd definitely be up for fishing sometime. I too would like to find some local fishing buddies. I'm gonna be pretty busy the next 2 weeks or so, but after that I'll be itching to fish bad I'm sure. The catfishing only gets better the colder it gets. What I really can't wait for is the spring striper run when they come in from the ocean. This is the first season I have a boat that I don't have to worry about capsizing out there.

**** those are some nice ones, what type of gear do you use for those bad boys? Ive only ever caught one or two anywhere near that size, and they gave my light rods all they could take.

Those are some monster blues, I've never caught one. Whats the fight like compared to a channel or flathead? There aren't in any of the waters around me, but I would sure like to catch a monster like that some day =P~

slim357 said:
**** those are some nice ones, what type of gear do you use for those bad boys? Ive only ever caught one or two anywhere near that size, and they gave my light rods all they could take.

I just use cheap 7' bass pro heavy action rods with Penn 209's, spooled with 65 lb braid. I usually use a slip sinker rig with either a 6 or 8 oz egg weight, 60 lb mono leader and 8/0 Gamakatsu octopus circle hooks. I only started targeting blues last winter, but after some tweaking thats the setup I've come to like.

jkbirocz said:
Those are some monster blues, I've never caught one. Whats the fight like compared to a channel or flathead? There aren't in any of the waters around me, but I would sure like to catch a monster like that some day =P~

I'd say they definitely fight harder than channels. I've never caught a flathead over about 15 lbs but at that size I'd say pound for pound flatheads fight just a little harder. I'll have to work on getting a 50 lb flathead to know for sure :LOL2: . I think flatheads probably run faster but blues are stronger. Sometimes they will just hold to the bottom and will not come up. It took about 25-30 mins to land the bigger one. It was in 25 feet of water with pretty strong current so that magnified things. I got him all the way to the boat thinking he was tired out. He took one look at the net and headed right back down and pulled about 50 yards of line out, and I was back to square one. I had the drag set pretty tight too.

Come on down and I'll take you out. The blue bite is great from about now until march. The colder the better (as long as the ramp isn't frozen over).

Latest posts