10 footer need some help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHtatfisher

Reaction score
Hello all this is my first post and I need a little help and some opinions. I got an old 10' flatbottom lowe boat and I wanted to do some modifications to it. I know not to deck it, its not wide enough but I would like to put a floor down just enough to cover ribs. I plan on using foam to make the floor level and using a good amount of sealer on it. I was also thinking of building a box up front to put my battery in and maybe some small storage.

The part I need some opinions on id really like to take out the 2 benches in it and replace them with wood planks and mounting seats to those, just a thought I don't know if it will weakin the boat or anything like that I'm new to this. Also I don't know what supplies to use, if you could help my by pointing me in the right direction and giving some advice that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you ...... Ronnie

got any pic of it. i took the middle on out of mine and it did not fold up . i just put in some more ribs. this is my first one to. good luck look ford to see how it is going look when u are done

:WELCOME:

Thanks for joining! :beer:

If the benches are used for bracing too then you should not remove, or you would need to add additional bracing to replace them. Also the benches there most likely have foam in them. I would hesitate to remove them for safety reasons.

these arent my pics but its the same boat. This the first boat ive ever wanted to modify so if you have any input for me please let me know..... Thanks Ronnie
jonboat2.jpg

jonboat1.jpg

Honestly, with a rig that small, I would fish it as is. Enjoy it, then move on up next year or now if you can. Just my opinion, but the most I would do is just put a small floor in the middle simply to stand.

I agree, just slide a floor in & go with that. No need for foam, just use a good exterior grade plywood and paint it with marine enamel on both side & all edges.

After looking at the pics again, foam sheets under the floor may not be a bad idea. You dont have many ribs to support the floor, so foam will help with that. Make sure to use closed cell foam.

ober51 said:
Honestly, with a rig that small, I would fish it as is. Enjoy it, then move on up next year or now if you can. Just my opinion, but the most I would do is just put a small floor in the middle simply to stand.

I agree - put your time and money into buying accessories that you can use with any boat - Fish Finder, Trolling Motor, new rods, lures, a nice hat, etc.

Thanks for joining and post up a few fish pictures

Latest posts