12/32 flat bottom upgrade

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRammit

Reaction score
Finally got around to upgrading my 1979 Sears Kingfisher 12/32... Ive had this boat 5 years, and ive been kinda rough on it!.... I started out just fixing a leak and ended up doing a little more

I went simple here... Still dont have a trailer, it rides in the back of my truck so less weight to lift is better since i usually fish alone

No deck, no chairs... Just a simple open floor of 1/2" plywood sealed with bondo fiberglass resin and carpeted with 3/4" styrofoam underneath...... I only floored 8 of the 12 feet to save weight, and cost since i only had to buy one sheet

Space is at a premium in a small boat, so my seats double as coolers.... I may convert one into a live well later

The paint is Rustoleum "smoke gray"... Its brighter than i wanted, but i like it!

Attachments

• QuickMemo+_2016-04-10-15-59-01.png
    QuickMemo+_2016-04-10-15-59-01.png
    361 KB · Views: 1,285
  • 20160417_105329_HDR.jpg
    20160417_105329_HDR.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 1,285
  • 20160417_133720.jpg
    20160417_133720.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 1,285
Nice and simple. Have one just about like that but rarely fish it. A little unstable when I stand up. You fish it by yourself or have a buddy go with you?

Edit: Oops thought it was a 10/32 until I read it again. That might not be too bad.

Also made this bow mount for my motor so i can sit up front.... The wire is ran under the floor so the battery can stay in the back

Attatched to the mount is a retractable dog leash i plan to use as a convenient anchor cord... No knots, no rope.. Just throw it over and flip the switch....... Not sure how long it will last though

Attachments

• 20160417_133835_HDR.jpg
    20160417_133835_HDR.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 1,274
Abraham said:
Nice and simple. Have one just about like that but rarely fish it. A little unstable when I stand up. You fish it by yourself or have a buddy go with you?

Edit: Oops thought it was a 10/32 until I read it again. That might not be too bad.

I usually fish alone, but sometimes i bring the kids

Its not verry stable, i can stand in it but hooksets can be a little sketchy!

I can imagine lol. At least it get's you on the water. Stay safe:)

That's actually the main reason i went with the cooler seats, they seem alot safer.... I had a swivel seat clamped to the bench before, since my weight was centered, everytime i turned around it felt like the boat was gonna tip.... Couple times i actually took on water

The coolers are just like a bench, i can slide to one side or the other to even out the weight

Heres a better pic out of the shop.... Think ill have to re-do the motor mount, the front bench its bolted to flexes too much.... Think ill ply and carpet that too

Attachments

• QuickMemo+_2016-04-18-20-11-58-1.png
    QuickMemo+_2016-04-18-20-11-58-1.png
    425.6 KB · Views: 1,200
On a small jonboat that doesn't have ribs going up the sides the bench's provide all of the structural support for the sides of the hull.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
On a small jonboat that doesn't have ribs going up the sides the bench's provide all of the structural support for the sides of the hull.

Yea, i kept that in mind along the way... I considered cutting the benches down and riveting them back in as supports...... But it didn't really lose much rigidity...... On a wider boat, taking out the benches would probably make a noticable difference.... But on this little 32" the only weak spot left was the bottom, which was fixed by installing the floor

Had an early day at work yesterday, so i took the boat out.... Everything worked well, comfort level improved by 200%!

Only one problem... With all my weight in the front, the rear end of the boat likes to sway around, making it next to impossible to control while i cast
.... I thought having the battery back there would help keep enough alluminum in the water to make control easy...... Wrong

Solution:
Im gonna fabricate some kinda removable rudder... I think that's an ez fix, but ive never seen one on a jon boat, just seems kinda goofy to me...... Anyone else have this issue???

I've got a 1232 with a omc15, 76' and I needed extra something...so I put on the sides just under the splash rib 2 pontoons made of 3" foam core by 13' long. One on each side. I can pee off the side and stand and fish absolutely no issues. It added about 50lbs on each side of stability.

I have pics somewhere here of it...

It would also give back some side support as my boat is really stiff with no side flex at all.