12ft 1983 Delhi

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dkyle47

Reaction score
Hey I'm new here to tinboats and I'm glad I stumbled across this site, it's been extremely informative. I recently purchased my first jon. It's a 12ft 1983 Delhi that I picked up for $200 that also came with a hummingbird 170 fish finder. I figured I would post how the restoration is going along so far since when I got it. Structurally speaking it's solid but the paint was pretty rough. Here in the near future I plan on putting a casting deck up front and possibly raising the deck in the middle a few inches? Any input or advice for the upcoming steps would be really helpful!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    882.3 KB · Views: 1,651
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    767.3 KB · Views: 1,651
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,651
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,651
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    789.9 KB · Views: 1,651
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    962.7 KB · Views: 1,651
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    708.2 KB · Views: 1,651
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    903 KB · Views: 1,651
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    857 KB · Views: 1,651
Just my opinion I wouldn't put a casting deck on it atleast not to fish from I believe it would be to tipsy and you may end up in the water.

Those boats can be a tad tippy ( I have one) Really with a good swivel seat, there is no real need to stand and cast. That being said, there are plenty who have added a platform. If you decide that you really want one, make it so that you can remove it without any damage to the boat just in case.
I did the same thing, stipped off all the paint and re painted. It is a lot of work, but in the end something that will turn out nice and its something you accomplished. Enjoy the boat.

Yeah I think I'm just going to give it a shot and try out a platform and just use joist hangers for the couple 2x4's that way if I decide I don't want it the only thing that will be left will be a couple small holes in the front bench... Can anyone point me in the right direction for paint? I'm looking for a grey colored flat(ish) paint and what is the best method for applying it besides a spray gun? Roller or brush?

Finally finished with putting the primer on now I just need to order some paint but I just don't know what kind to go with? I like the grey and I'm pretty set on that, but can someone point me in the right direction as far as paint goes and the best way to apply it?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    819.4 KB · Views: 1,570
Lowes carries Rustoleum boat paint. Just use a small foam roller.

Just thought I would post some of the progress that I've made so far. The painted I decided to go with is from lock stock & barrel in the open water medium gray, I just used a foam roller to apply the paint

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    908 KB · Views: 1,425
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    832.4 KB · Views: 1,425
So I've pretty much finished everything I wanted to on the boat. I just added the anti fatigue mat I bought from Sears for $25 and plan on taking it out on the water for the first time tomorrow :D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    817.2 KB · Views: 1,335
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    910.1 KB · Views: 1,335
I think you have done VERY well.

Now, stop. :)

Use it for a bit, maybe with another person in it and then just by yourself.

Think you will find earlier advice was spot-on.

You've just done about all that that hull needs to be fully realized. Maybe shop around for some used swivel seats, but don't invest too much more, because it is what it is.

Nice work.

Thanks kismet! Yeah I'm done with it after I figure out where and how to mount the battery for the fish finder... I'd like to just go by myself but due to not having a trailer I always have to bring a buddy to help load/unload it because I've got a bum leg after being wounded in Afghanistan last year (**** haji bob got me) #-o but I am glad I took the advice and decided not to build a platform. As far as the seats go idk I just can't sit while fishing it just feels so... Ehhh. I'm sure there are plenty of guys that would totally disagree with my view on that subject though but to each his own right?

I'd look for a "cheap trailer" something that just needs tlc no structural and get a trailer for it and on the battery for the depth finder you could cut a hole in one of the benches and remove SOME of the foam and put the battery in there and then run your wire. There's several builds on here that have done that. Hope I helped!

Yeah I started looking for a cheap trailer today because I like going out on the water by myself I'm sure I'll run across one here soon... The misses has to approve though haha. I'll def take a look at what you mentioned about placing the battery in the bench thanks for the tip

Latest posts