14' Polar Kraft Jet Project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I tell you all what...this has been a pain in my rear and one of the looooongest unfinished projects of all time! I changed positions at work and was brought into management. That alone took each and every minute of my spare time away. After a while of that, I came back to a basic tech to get away from the office and back on the floor. Then I moved, had a baby boy and now FINALLY pulled the boat back out of the garage to finish. It has not changed since the last post but I am hoping that changes ASAP! Glad to be back sharing and reading all of the other awesome projects posted! My immediate plans are to power wash all the dust and cob webs out of the boat, build up a console and then drag it down to a local fab shop where they will be welding her all up. Pictures to come soon I promise.

I hear ya - I have way more time in building my JJ than I will ever spend using it!

That said, it is my favorite toy.

So keep the project candle lit.

Being in middle management can be challenging, you get pulled from both sides. Glad you are back in a position you are comfortable with.

How's the kid? Just wait until you teach him how to run the boat, better yet when he pulls you skiing!

I appreciate your comment on my thread. If you find some time, I would love to see what you did with the loader grate. Not so much as to pinch your idea, but to save me some potential head scratching.

My 1st try had the intake grate pretty much flush with flat bottom - you can easily guess how much that cavitated. The next winter I cut it back apart & lowered the intake are about 1.5 inches. I fabricated a tapered panel, kind of like a vee, to make the transition. It worked great. Another change I made was to remount pump angle to fix porposing.

If I recall correctly, you have a mod V hull, so that should push air to the side well. Theat polaris 750 should push it to mid 30 mph.

Edit: I tried the 'top loader 'grate, if that is what you are referring to. It helped with cavitation but allowed big rocks in, bad for the impeller. I still have but have no use for it - it's yours for the shipping if you want it.

All I did was get a piece of 1/4" aluminum, grind one edge to a knife edge and then cut slots in it so when I slide it up inside my grate it would fit. I then tig welded it in place and called it a day. I will try and find pictures or it to show you. This time around though, I beat the boat bottom out to match the shape of the ski hull. This also dropped my unit down about 2" overall so that should help where I wont need to loader grate I made.

Family is doing good, just bout 12 acres of properly that has been neglected so I ALWAYS have a project haha.
Yes, I am a modified V which helps me out compared to a try flat bottom. I still needed to mold the bottom a bit to fit right. With a full 2x4 wood deck frame and 3/4" plywood for decking I pushed 44 mph on glass and about 33-35 on couple inch chop. With the grate I made I topped out at 41-42 mph on glass but maintained my high 37-38 in the same chop. I like this Polaris, not super high HP but idle to mid range this thing is a torque monster.

Latest posts