14' V-Hull Modifications

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NCtoGAboater

Reaction score
Alright, well I got this little boat off of CL for 140 bucks. It is a weird boat, as far as the interior. There are no ribs that run from side to side, except for two, which the previous owner capped with aluminium angle. From what I can gather, this boat was pieced together or is homemade from a kit or something.
interior facing bow.jpg

Anyway, it was right red when I got it, so i stipped the bright red off as best as I could, which left the old chalky blue paint. It was adhered pretty good, so i just sanded the exterior with some 60-80 grit paper (old fashion elbow grease) and left as much of the old paint as possible, so I didn't have bare aluminum. I primed the boat with rustoleum professional primer and then painted with professional enamel.
bottom of painted boat (Medium).jpg

So my plan is to create a deck in the front of the boat, keeping it as low as possible, from about where the old front seat was to the front, and attaching a trolling motor to the front of the bow. Then place some plywood over those two pieces of angle to make a smooth deck on the bottom, and just building a little cubby area in the rear of the boat for the gas tank, storage, etc....
I would like to building some rod holder boxes along the side of the boat as well. As far as seating, I am just going to have the pedestal seat on the front deck, a seat on a pedestal in the rear to control the motor, and another removable seat in the middle of the boat, for the second passenger while we are underway. I know its kind of confusing trying to imagine it, and I am planning on drawing out a rough plan, which I will post.

I plan on using aluminum angle/channel as I see fit to building the framing. I guess the first thing I wanted to ask is how do I go about framing out the front deck I want to add. With no rib supports along the bottom of the boat, how am I supposed to attach the aluminum framing to the boat. Look forward to continued posts here, as I build my new boat.
rib with side support.jpg

side panel with handle.jpg

interior facing stern.jpg

Attachments

• handle picture 2.jpg
    handle picture 2.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,481
Hey, congratulations on the acquisition; and thanks for sharing with us. I defer to others on the framing question and you may already have done this...but before you get too far into mods, you should ensure that the hull is water-tight and the transom is sound. Look forward to watching your progress!
Rick

rickybobbybend said:
Hey, congratulations on the acquisition; and thanks for sharing with us. I defer to others on the framing question and you may already have done this...but before you get too far into mods, you should ensure that the hull is water-tight and the transom is sound. Look forward to watching your progress!
Rick

Thanks. I took the side braces off and examined the transom. Its in good shape, no signs of rotting, and I drilled a couple holes into it, its not water logged or anything either. I just sealed all the rivets and seams from the interior with amazing goop coat it the other day. That stuff seems to work pretty good, and it think it will work well. So anyway, here is a quick picture that I came up with. Don't have any fancy programs to work with, so did the best I could.

My questions regarding framing are how do I attach the framing to the sides of the hull? My plan was to just rivet the framing to the hull, however supporting the framing on the bottom of the hull is my main concern, since there are no ribs to attach to, and am a little apprehensive of riveting through the bottom of the boat.

deck framing with questions.jpg

Decking.jpg

Thanks

best bet would be to rivet in your own ribs where ever necessary i would think and seal with 3m 5200

So this is what I am thinking. I understand that it looks a lot, and am willing to reduce stuff as I go along for weight constraints. I was going to use aluminum for the framing, and either 1/2 plywood for decking or was thinking of the ACM that another member used in his boat.
Overhead Mods View.jpg
The boat is about 18 inches deep at the transom, so my goal is not to have the front deck area taller than 8 inches from the bottom, as not to make it too tippy.

Thanks, hope to find some insight into the framing questions I had earlier.

Here are some general pictures of paint stripping, painting, and applying the amazing coat it
IMG_8274.JPG
IMG_9214.JPG
IMG_9188.JPG
IMG_9421.JPG

Ok, so I finally got started and ordered my angle from online metals. Went with 1.25x1.25x.125 angle. I am using 3/16" rivets to hold the pieces together and to the side of the hull. I am just putting supports on the framing, and it is just resting on the bottom of the hull, i didn't think they needed to be secured. Here are some pictures. The framing takes a lot longer than I thought, especially for someone that has never used a rivet or aluminum before. It was ugly starting out, but I feel by the time i get finished with the front deck, I should be a semi-pro

The deck framing is 8.5 inches from the bottom of the hull. The boat is 18 inches deep, so I figured the lower the deck, the better off I would be for stability....

I appreciate any ideas, insight, recommendations, or comments. I am hoping to spend all day Saturday working on it, which should get me through with all the front deck framing.

Thanks
Yorke

Attachments

• framing.jpg
    framing.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,288
  • framing 2.jpg
    framing 2.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,288
  • supports for framing.jpg
    supports for framing.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,288
  • attachment of framing to hull.jpg
    attachment of framing to hull.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,288
  • angle cut for framing to hull.jpg
    angle cut for framing to hull.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,288
Looks like you have good ideas. To help you with drilling the pieces of aluminum together, use visegrips to clamp them together then drill and rivet together. That will help a lot. Lowes sells a Hitachi miter saw for about 100 bucks that would be a very good investment for this project. i also would try to put maybe something between the support and hull like some thick rubber or something so it wouldn't rub a hole in it. If not make sure you file or sand the sharp edges of the aluminum where it touches the hull. Maybe you could build a frame with a top and bottom with support in the middle and then rivet it to the sides and it would support the hull instead of the hull supporting the deck. make a cardboard template of the shape you need then build. Wish i could find and old boat like that to do after i finish mine. Keep the pics coming.

dustmaker said:
Maybe you could build a frame with a top and bottom with support in the middle and then rivet it to the sides and it would support the hull instead of the hull supporting the deck. make a cardboard template of the shape you need then build. Wish i could find and old boat like that to do after i finish mine. Keep the pics coming.

I think I understand what you are saying, basically make a mirror image of the top of the frame on the bottom, so that the frame is a complete piece essentially. I thought about that, but it seemed like it would be a hard fit. Plus, i ordered my metal based on what I was going to do. I agree about the edges rubbing. maybe some old pieces of tire or something between the hull and the supports? I will have to go to the hardware store and get a few clamps and grips.

I will have a lot more pictures this coming weekend when I have time to work on her.

Thanks
Yorke

So I finally got a full day to work on my framing, and it takes a lot longer that I thought! haha
Anyway, I only got up to the framing of the two floor hatches next to the seat (shown in my plan). It was pretty fun thougth, and kind of addicting. Once I get going, I didn't want to stop, but **** daylight just gets away from you when you're having fun.

I added support legs and cross supports for the hatches. I am planning on putting pieces of rubber or something below the support legs, and then riveting those legs to the bottom of the hull. When i rivet to the bottom of the hull, I am going to use 5200 to seal up any holes I make.

Pictures are below, let me know of any comments

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20121202_172032 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_20121202_172032 (Medium).jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 1,092
  • IMG_20121202_172041 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_20121202_172041 (Medium).jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 1,092
  • IMG_20121202_172049 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_20121202_172049 (Medium).jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 1,092