14' Valco transom replacement questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have never done any boat work but figured with information I have found here I could take this. Grandson is 18 months old and I'd like to get him out fishing. I was able to remove the wood transom, knee brace and all hardware today. **** there were several different types of sealant, caulk, glue and whatever else someone could think of to slather on it. I do have a couple of questions though.
1. There must be 40 holes in it, thinking I should take it to someone with a Tig and have them weld them back up. I'll mark the ones I need but, there are so many vacant holes. Does that make sense or should I just put ss bolts back in them? That doesn't sound right to me. Lol
2. The knee brace threw me a little, it came with some aluminum angle iron bolted through the bottom. They didn't use ss bolts, the boat aluminum looks ok but the flanges on the brace are brittle. I suspect that is something I can get someone to fab from the one I have.

I am not sure of the year but I think the paperwork says 57 Valco 14'. Sometime I'll dig it up and put it in my signature
Not sure I have the pictures correct for the site if they don't show up I'll figure out how to add them. 2 pics of knee brace with and without the aluminum angle. Pick of back to see holes.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• PXL_20240414_021748605.jpg
    PXL_20240414_021748605.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240414_020110132.jpg
    PXL_20240414_020110132.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240414_020130749.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240414_020130749.MP.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 0
I have never done any boat work but figured with information I have found here I could take this. Grandson is 18 months old and I'd like to get him out fishing. I was able to remove the wood transom, knee brace and all hardware today. **** there were several different types of sealant, caulk, glue and whatever else someone could think of to slather on it. I do have a couple of questions though.
1. There must be 40 holes in it, thinking I should take it to someone with a Tig and have them weld them back up. I'll mark the ones I need but, there are so many vacant holes. Does that make sense or should I just put ss bolts back in them? That doesn't sound right to me. Lol
2. The knee brace threw me a little, it came with some aluminum angle iron bolted through the bottom. They didn't use ss bolts, the boat aluminum looks ok but the flanges on the brace are brittle. I suspect that is something I can get someone to fab from the one I have.

I am not sure of the year but I think the paperwork says 57 Valco 14'. Sometime I'll dig it up and put it in my signature
Not sure I have the pictures correct for the site if they don't show up I'll figure out how to add them. 2 pics of knee brace with and without the aluminum angle. Pick of back to see holes.
Thanks in advance.
Update, boat is in the shop. They will be fabricating a knee brace (gusset) welding the holes and repairing a couple of cracks. Yay.

Latest posts