1432 Delhi Boat Modification-Picture Update 7-26-11

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redphysher

Reaction score
Hey all,

It has been awhile since I posted anything on this forum. Alot has changed in the past 5 months. I have a new house with a huge yard and plenty of room to finally fix up my 1432 jon boat. I have been holding out on doing any work to it due to not having the space. Also, my wife is expecting our 1st child it march. I will start on the boat after the thanksgiving holidays. Unforunately most of the work will be weekend only due to the time change. But, living in louisiana it is much much cooler this time of year on most days.

My plan has changed since last time I posted. I will just add floors and a few neat little surprises. I am drawing up a 3d model of the design on autocad right now and have been for a few weeks. Easier to see everything and make changes before i cut the aluminum. I plan to completely strip the boat from the terrible faded forrest green and brighten it up a little and put some stripes on it. (make it go faster!! :LOL2: ) I have to get all the area set up and ready to go for the work.

I will be posting loads of pictures. So, wish me luck.

Congratulations on your first baby! Take my advice, get the boat finished or as much work as possible done before the baby comes. Time comes at a real premium after that. I know, my wife just gave birth to our second child at the end of Oct.

Good look on your project. And remember...

:postpics:

Ok, I plan to start my sanding and paint removal on my boat trailer and then the boat. Coming up this weekend. Possibly a little work this week. I have changed my work schedule to be able to get off before dark. So, that will give me an hour and half or so of daylight before having to use lights. In my opinion natural light is so much easier to work around. I have a few questions before I get started.

Boat:
1) Can you use a palm sander to take off areas of paint that are not near rivets? (or can I sand the whole boat with it)
2) Should I only use a wire wheel to remove paint? To keep from damaging rivets. ( I plan to remove 95% of paint it has powdered per say...very chaulky)
3) What is the best aluminum angle to use for benchwork?

Trailer:
1) It is a steel trailer (home made) that is rusted in places. I take my boat mainly to saltwater marshes here in Louisiana. I plan to replace the trailer in the future with a galvanized (or aluminum) trailer. Is it ok to sand it and re paint?
2) I need to replace the wiring harness and lights, any ideas on trailer lights?

thanks,

I can't help you on the paint but the trailer I can. First, I would let how long before you get a new trailer dictate on the extent of your trailer rebuild. For parts try https://www.championtrailers.com/ I haven't been able to beat their price and they are in Slidell,LA. I replaced my axle, tires, rims, hubs, springs, and lights. I have almost $450 in it and I didn't paint anything.

I took a old trailer to a monument place years ago and they only charged me $70 to sand blast it. Yes, you can redo the trailer as long as it hasn't rusted to a point it compromises the integrity of the metal.

I bought the LED lights from Walmart for $49. You can get cheaper ones but the leds seem to hold up better. One suggestion is to make guide post and mount them up high so they don't submerge. This will increase their life a 1000% in the enviroment we live in.

a 3M large are paint stripping wheel will do ya better than the wire wheel. I started using a wire wheel on mine and it seemed to take FOREVER. A friend recommended the 3M wheel and it worked great. Just my 1/2 cent worth.

SpecknReds,

Thanks for that website. Very nice stuff there. As for how long I will be having the trailer probably a mininum of 2 years before I buy a new one or just sell the boat and trailer. So, I need to make it last a little longer. Do not get me wrong structurally it is sound. Most of the rust is cosmetic and on the surface. I do need to figure out a way to seal the holes where the wires come out of the trailer. It was made from 2"x1" steel tubing. Re-wiring it should be loads of fun.

I will be getting started on the project this weekend. Hopefully friday as I am off work. woo woo

Re-wiring a trailer is as easy as it gets. As to stripping it, a cup style wire wheel on a grinder works well. Get the real aggressive one with braided strands, trust me it won't hurt your trailer. Spray it with some Rustoleum rust converter and then paint over that, it will be good to go.

redphysher said:
3) What is the best aluminum angle to use for benchwork?

I don't know that there is a best angle to use. I think it depends on your situation. I used 1 1/2" angle, a combination of 1/8" and 1/16" thick. Using the 1/8" thickness for longer spans and places bearing the most load. I used the 1/16" as braces and framed most of the back deck.

Front got the heavier gauge 1/8" stuff and the braces are 1/16".
photo13.jpg

I didn't want to add too much extra weight to the back so I framed all of it in 1/16. It's not a long span. The end result is very sturdy.
photo1.jpg

Well

I have decided to possibly use a product called Uni-Strut in Aluminum. It is similar to channel pieces. I will be getting it at cost from a place I found. It comes in 10 or 20 foot lengths. Plus all the stainless hardware to assemble the stuff. Has anyone ever thought of using something like this? https://www.unistrut.com/

You can't order direct from uni-strut company. I have a personal suppiler if I use it. woo woo.

Also, it is possibly going to frigging SNOW in South Louisiana...what the heck is that??? On friday coming. I will just have to break out a thicker jacket. On the plus side, I will not be sweating alot...LOL

With the strut you will have bolt heads above the level of the strut. The alum angle and rivets or wood will be a smoother finish to put your decking on.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
With the strut you will have bolt heads above the level of the strut. The alum angle and rivets or wood will be a smoother finish to put your decking on.
Looks like there are various ways to assemble the product via the connectors to avoid having that be the case.

Not sure what your cost would be, but I am guessing it will be more to use the product at "your cost" vs. angle/tubing with rivets at retail pricing from a metal supplier, and I don't see the value in spending more to use it.

brine,

That is the case what is the cost effectiveness of the product. In the industry i work in (petro-chemical) it is used for various applications. I will have to look at "wholesale cost"(which is what I will be getting) vs. retail on angle and rivets.

Then, heck it might just be fun to do..LOL And it would be alot stronger. The Load bearing of a 1-5/8"X1-5/8"X3'-0" piece is 165 lbs. That is without a frame that is one piece at 3'-0" if you stood in the middle of it. I have yet to calculate what the load bearing of my completed frame will be. But I am sure it will be more that enough. Doing all that math stuff this weekend.

I will be posting pictures tommorrow of my boat in its present state and then pics of me doing some work finally. So, look out.Boy, I am going to screw this up LOL.

well,

Mother Nature did not like the idea of me working on my tin boat. It rained and was freezing cold. It is still raining today and the rest of the week. As soon as the weather clears I will get started for real.

Well,

Expect pictures tonight of the boat. I finally got the camera working right. Also, I had a family emergency to tend to this week. My family member is doing well. So, I have been away from the site and the boat all last week. I do have the trailer prepped for sanding. The stupid weather is still hating on me though.

Welcome Back.

Glad to hear your family memeber is ok. Weather has been miserable here too.

Finally a few pictures for everyone.

101_0593.jpg

Trailer with bunks removed. Minor sanding before the all the rain
101_0594.jpg

Just another picture of trailer (Homemade built by the previous owner)
101_0595.jpg

picture of the 'ole boat
101_0596.jpg

side view of the boat

Well,

i am offically back. I know I bounced in a few months back. My daughter was born on Feb 23 2010. She is 6 weeks old today. time flies but it is great.

I have sanded my trailer down and primed it. It has been sitting in the backyard for 3 months. A little touch up sanding with a little more primer and I will be ready to paint the trailer.

I have decided for ease of assembly and cost to go with 2x2 wood and 1/2" plywood. I will be sanding the boat this weekend and getting ready to paint it by sunday.

i do not really have any new pictures or progress. I will have a lay out the plan soon.