1432 Sears - My First Project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty sure you need two batteries for a 24 volt TM,they have to be wired in series.
Sorry if that is already a known.

Yes, 2 batteries are needed for a 24V trolling motor. So really 3 batteries are needed because you'll need a 12V system too. Unless you get a 24V bilge and lights, but that costs more than just a 3rd battery.

I have an 80# thrust TM and it was highly recommended I go with a Minkota 60amp manual breaker. 6 gauge wire should supply fine. If you are going to pop for a 24V motor go with a Minkota with Autopilot and a built in transducer. Check out https://www.motorclinic.com/ for a reconditioned motor. They were really good guys and their prices were great. They are in Minneapolis MN. and I stopped by to pick up the motor and found out they are actually the Vexlar factory too.

I am glad that I asked. In addition to researching the heck out of this project on this forum, I also purchased the ebook "Hydrilla Gorilla" https://www.myjonboat.com/aboutboat.htm ....this recommends one battery for TM, depth finder, live well, lights, etc. on one deep cycle battery and an onboard solar panel charger

When it comes to electricity I am far from an expert...I just thought that everyone would be interested in the differences. I believe that I would rather err to the safe side though and go with more then one battery.

Looked at the HydraGorilla website.... Did you find the Bassin' Buddies e-cards humorous? AND....What are the amazing benefits of emu oil, and how do I get some???

You might only need 2 batteries...the 2 for the 24V(series) and run your wires(lights,bilge) just off 1 battery for the 12V.
Still nice to get another for the fish finder if you get one and if you do they normally work better on a battery by itself(interferance and stuff).They hardly draw any power(ff,lights..)so a smaller battery will do.

Well....I totally messed everyone up here. I purchased a used 40 Lb thrust bow mount 12 VOLT Minn Kota off of Craigs list. So I do not have a 24 volt. I guess I really proved how much I know......sorry folks

LOL...guess only 1 battery is needed.Or 2 in parallel,for longer trolling time but thats not a problem if your only using it for 5-6 hours at a time.An extra battery for lights,well they don't draw that much,especially if there LEDs(Blue Water)and a bilge,like the lights only draws power when it's on.It is nice to know you have the power when you need it though.Although I only use 1 battery.

DavidN said:
I am glad that I asked. In addition to researching the heck out of this project on this forum, I also purchased the ebook "Hydrilla Gorilla" https://www.myjonboat.com/aboutboat.htm ....this recommends one battery for TM, depth finder, live well, lights, etc. on one deep cycle battery and an onboard solar panel charger

Check with someone who's more familiar with the solar chargers (than me), from what I've heard they're a waste of money. Not enough wattage output to do any good. If you don't do that much night-fishing, just recharge them once you get home from fishing.

ST

Hi Everyone

Just a quick update.

Carpet is complete, seats are mounted, did a little pinstripe work, wiring is roughed in, etc...I still have to complete all the wiring and do some minor touch up but should be complete in another week. =D>

David

cimg0249.jpg

cimg0250.jpg

cimg0251.jpg

cimg0252.jpg

Well everyone the project is complete....well sort of...I guess we are never finished. I few little touch ups but ready for the maiden voyage next weekend. A big thanks to everyone and to this awesome forum.

cimg0265.jpg

cimg0266.jpg

cimg0268.jpg

cimg0267.jpg

Latest posts