15 HP Johnson wont spit water?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Passport

Reaction score
Its not the water pump............... I just spent the evening taking off the lower unit expecting to see that the impeller had failed and was going to put in a new one but the one in there looks new. I blew out the water intake pipe and it seemed like it, or some part of the water system, had a leak as it it seemed like I could hear the air escaping elsewise and it didn’t blow all that hard from the tiny exit hole. I also sprayed water up the water intake and it did squirt out the hole.

Everything in the water pump area looks good.

So, what is everyone's best guess as to what I need to replace/fix now?

Thanks

PP

Forgot to add I also pulled the thermostat and it looked dry, does this motor need to heat up before it will cycle water? I'm not letting it run very long since I'm not seeing any water discharge.

Try pulling the thermostat and test run it w/o it. If water pump is working properly you should immediately see water discharging.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=316544#p316544 said:
Misterj » 1 minute ago[/url]"]Try pulling the thermostat and test run it w/o it. If water pump is working properly you should immediately see water discharging.

Good thinkin! If it does not then what?

Are you running it with muffs, in a tank or in the lake? If you are running it in a tank, add some more water. We had a 195? 5.5 that we thought had a bad water pump but we added some more water to the tank and it started working. We went well above the 2nd fin on the motor.

You may have a similar problem that i ran into on my 6hp evinrude. I too checked all the usually things, pulled thermostat, cleaned the tube, impeller "looked" in good condition to my knowledge, wasnt chipped or missing any wings/arms whatever you call them. However I did not know that the rubber part of the impeller is supposed to be fused onto that small nut that is on the drive shaft, inside of the water pump. You may want to check that out. Also the bottom of my water pump was totally ruined as well. Needless to say I replaced my entire water pump for 40$.

Well, not 100% sure what I did but its fixed!! Pulled the thermostat and water started poring right out at start up. The only diff, other than running w/o the stat was I used muffs. Wonder if there was a blockage in the lower unit that the water pushed out? Either way it seems fine now. Just picked up a near new prop on craigs list for 20 bucks so I'm ready.

Thanks to all for the help!!

Latest posts