16' Monark Mod V Jon - The end of the Road - FOR SALE

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the carpet will hide most of it. if it doesn't hide enough for you, you could always run some trim pieces down the sides.

fishinchef said:
the carpet will hide most of it. if it doesn't hide enough for you, you could always run some trim pieces down the sides.

That's exactly my thinking. The hatches came out really well, can't complain there. Easier cut, but I was way more comfortable by that time.

ITS said my boat paperwork was mailed out today, should get it by Saturday, it's coming from Florida. Pretty pumped. My base, pole, and seat set was shipped from Cabelas, which should be here Monday. My boat carpet is in route and should be here Friday - meaning as long as I have 3-4 coats of Marine Varnish on my front deck, and my two floors by Friday - Saturday is carpet day. Might run some wiring tomorrow to have it there as to make it easier when I do add the lights.

Dunno if anyone is following, lol, but I might as well update. I got the switch panel from ebay, and made a little box out of red oak I had gotten free from Home Depot (long story) to house the switch panel. I will cut an access hole in the back, and if I ever need to replace a fuse or anything I can just unscrew the four bolts in the front. Looks like it will work well. I am not going to carpet it, rather just put a few coats of marine varnish and let the naturally nice wood stand out. Came out nice, I will snap some pictures after the first coat dries later. I was also able to get the other sides of my floor varnished. Things take long than I expect, especially since I am so inexperienced, without a good workspace, and working with crappy weather.

Got the carpet laid on the deck and the hatches. Looks nice, just need to tweak a few things to make it structurally sound. Really like it considering it was the first time Ive ever done anything haha.

Pics later.

Here are some pictures via the phone, misplaced the cord again ](*,)

As you can see - I have that little remaining strip at the end of the bench. I will probably make a 6" strip, then box that bench seat in to give it a finished look. But I am done for now. I need that ITS stuff so I can at least take it out - driving me nuts - and a lot of stuff to do for grad school this week, ugh. But with questionable weather all week, it will force me inside most likely anyway.

So the top deck is done. The hatches are almost flush, haha. But seriously, as long as it's functional and looks halfway decent like I think it does, I am satisfied for this being the first time I've ever built anything or attempted to build anything. I might not even put hinges on the hatches, just put some nylon strips and call it a day, we'll see.

I also carpeted the floors in between the seats. I watersealed the plywood floors, then varnished a bunch of coats, and then carpet. Looks good, covers the floor, and gives me flat surface to stand and fish without tripping over those huge ribs.

I think that's everything, here are the pictures, can only get two, the bluetooth on my phone and computer is acting up.

Attachments

• hatch.jpg
    hatch.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 842
  • floors and hatch.jpg
    floors and hatch.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 842
Lookin' good! 8)

Just a quick thought: If not attached with hinges, you don't think the hatches might blow out of the deck while the boat is in tow do you? You never know what'll happen (jar loose after hitting a pothole, etc), and would hate to see a vehicle behind you "catch" a lid or two.

Waterwings said:
Lookin' good! 8)

Just a quick thought: If not attached with hinges, you don't think the hatches might blow out of the deck while the boat is in tow do you? You never know what'll happen (jar loose after hitting a pothole, etc), and would hate to see a vehicle behind you "catch" a lid or two.

Good point, hinges it is!

Welp, don't be afraid to use International Title Service (ITS) if you live in NJ. I received my authentic title from the state of Florida in the mail today, drove directly over to the DMV here in NJ, and left 10 minutes later with my NJ state boat registration and NJ title! It took a little more time than I anticipated, but I do believe them when they said that NJ is the only state they need to take an extra step in order to make it work. Really, really excited, finally get this guy on the water. Weather permitting it will happen tomorrow, since I have to be at class tonight at 5. Chomping at the bit!

WElp, it was the first time on the water for this boat and it was solid. I stood on the bow deck and it was very stable. The hatches have yet to receive hinges, as I wanted to get out there today. They didn't blow away on the ride over to the lake. The T9.9 Yamaha runs so smooth - quiet and decent power. Although it doesn't push me nearly as fast as my old 25 Johnson the lakes around here are limited to 10 HP anyway. In the future I'll spring for the 25 HP, but for now this is fine.

It looks like I will need some weight in the front of the boat. I am planning on putting another battery in the front compartment - it will be used for all electronics and lights that I plan on installing at some point - and that should help. Thankfully I created two floors for the boat, I can't stand walking over those 2" ribs, just really frustrating. I didn't use them today because I just carpeted them two days ago, I'd like to give them the full 5 days of curing time for the carpet glue.

I also would like to get a bow mount motor. It's just too annoying to steer with my hand and it cuts down on fishing time dramatically. I am going to sell my TM 40# Endura, it's a good motor, just not what I need.

I took a video, but I am no photographer, lol. When I upload it I will post it here. All in all a good day - finally nice to get out on the water! The only downfall was no fish, ha. Skunked again :|

Awesome job with the boat. I just got me a 16 footer and cant wait to mod mine. My question is how did you lug your boat around off the trailer to paint and do mods. My boat is pretty darn heavy and was wondering if you had a trick to it.

Lenny said:
Awesome job with the boat. I just got me a 16 footer and cant wait to mod mine. My question is how did you lug your boat around off the trailer to paint and do mods. My boat is pretty darn heavy and was wondering if you had a trick to it.

Thanks, Lenny. I've only really just begun with the mods on the interior.

Glad you asked this question. The first 14' semi v I had was nothing, I could basically do that myself. The trick to this one...is having 4 brothers. They were pretty good about it until the 5th time or so, lol. I've seen some guys rig up cables and ratchets and use tree branches outside or bolts in their attic connected to long 2x4s across some beams down through their garage to move their boat. Unfortunately there is no easy way without help, especially once you start adding weight to these things.

evattman said:
Very nice video!! :mrgreen: Man, in the video it looked like a tight fit under that bridge!

Ha, it wasn't that bad. HOWEVER, when I had my 14' v, and the 25 hp on the back, it was a tight fit. I didn't realize it until my gf screamed at me after we went under. She was sitting in the front, and the boat was planed...needless to say on the way back we went a lot slower, haha.

Before the skies open in a minute or so around here (AGAIN), I was able to finish the two pieces I needed for the front deck. Came out alright, I will have to screw them in place when I attach everything at a later date. I think I am also going to forego (at this point) another small front deck. Depending on when I get the bow mount motor, I will make a decision what I want to do then about building a deck or just a motor mount.

I also remembered yesterday that these aluminum benches get SUPER hot in the sun. I have decided to run some wood on the seat benches, it will not get nearly as hot and it will provide a finished look. So today I cut out the wood for one of the seats, and put some water sealer. I think it will also get a coat of varnish before I lay the carpet on the next nice day (maybe tomorrow morning).

I haven't decided what is next, but I think a break is in order before issues such as interior lights and nav lights. Slowly but surely it's coming together. Here is a picture of the front deck.

Attachments

• -1.jpg
    -1.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 825

Latest posts