16' Monark Mod V Jon - The end of the Road - FOR SALE

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope they don't go all the way under the water:)---joking
Just a couple questions.
Is the guide on where you want it...width?
Is your boat wider then your fenders?
I'm thinking by the time your boat touches your guide-ons,it will already be on the trailer.
I don't mean to sound negative,they do look good just wondering if they will work where they are.
For me,to get mine to work,I need them as close to the sides as possible,makes the boat center everytime(atleast so far).Also I need them close to the end of the trailer so I can rest the bow up against one in windy conditions.Heres a picture,all PVC,run right across the frame for more support.guides.jpg
Every boat is different though,I submerge my bunks then bring them back up to where only the tips of the bunks are in the water and power load on.

Zum said:
I hope they don't go all the way under the water:)---joking
Just a couple questions.
Is the guide on where you want it...width?
No, I have yet to finalize where they will finally wind up - I will measure up the width of my boat and then add an inch or so. Then when the boat is on the trailer, I will finalize the position and lock them in.
Is your boat wider then your fenders?
I'm thinking by the time your boat touches your guide-ons,it will already be on the trailer.
I don't mean to sound negative,they do look good just wondering if they will work where they are.
For me,to get mine to work,I need them as close to the sides as possible,makes the boat center everytime(atleast so far).Also I need them close to the end of the trailer so I can rest the bow up against one in windy conditions.Heres a picture,all PVC,run right across the frame for more support.
Yes, the guide ons are a bit further up the trailer than I would like, but that's because I dont have any trailer frame back by the end of the bunks. I am actually more concerned with the lights being visible at this point, which is why I am almost certain to run them up the guide ons. I am brainstorming ways to attach the guideons back further on the trailer. Actually, I think I may have something. I may be able to put the pvc under my bunks, then attach them to the under side of the bunks, much like you see old school piping attached to a ceiling by a half circle, screwed holder (it makes sense in my mind, hard to relay that here though).But this makes it hard to wire the trailer down the bunks then into the PVC then up. I will come up with something. At least the guideons will give people a chance to see the lights better.
Every boat is different though,I submerge my bunks then bring them back up to where only the tips of the bunks are in the water and power load on.

Thanks for the input, it's very helpful, not negative at all.

Boat is back on the trailer, and the trailer seems very sturdy. I am going to start working on getting the mini jacker on this thing in order to use the Yammy.

I'll post some pics of the boat on there later. The bunks are like 3" or so past the transom, so it's all supported, which makes me feel better. I looked at the clearance between the boat and the fenders, I can't really lower the bunks any. That stinks but being higher it will enable me to tow the boat with the motor down I think without a transom saver. I can't use a transom saver anyway because the trailer frame is far under the boat. So although the boat sits higher, it likely enables me to tow the motor without fear of it hitting the ground.

Hoping the ITS papers come in a few minutes, we'll see.

STILL no papers, ****. It's only Wednesday, but I was hoping to have the registration, because the mini jacker is just about on and ready for the Yammy.

Mini Jacker installed. Here are a few pics. One of the holes took off a decent amount of wood when it broke through - so I had to put a bunch of 5200 on it to make sure it will be sealed. Overall, the transom wood took a pounding when it was at the state marina - they left it out in the open for a few weeks (to be expected) and it was the worst month of June rain-wise in NJ history I believe. The wood is completely dry now, and I am thinking of painting over it with gray deck paint. I think it will look better anyway. We'll see. When I installed the mini jacker, it pulled the middle of the three sections of wood tighter. I then went ahead and added big bolts to the other 2 sections, to make sure it was completely solid across the transom (they are the lower bolts on the outside sections). Might hacksaw them down a bit.

I am itching to get this in the water, hopefully that is really, really soon. Probably going to hold off modding it until later, as I want to enjoy using it. The one thing I might do is add a bow deck for my gf to lay on. Might just do it right and take the few hours and have it done.

Attachments

• Boat1.JPG
    Boat1.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 1,256
  • Boat2.JPG
    Boat2.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 1,256
  • Boat3.JPG
    Boat3.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 1,256
Figured I'd start on the front deck. Bought some wood, strong ties (the RBT22's were too small for my ribs, so I am going to just use strong tie angles), and sealer. Have to run to West Marine for SSS hardware. I also bought nylon washers to go between strong ties and ribs.

Will take pics later, already sealed some wood, but I have to meet a client now.

ober51 said:
Figured I'd start on the front deck. Bought some wood, strong ties (the RBT22's were too small for my ribs, so I am going to just use strong tie angles), and sealer. Have to run to West Marine for SSS hardware. I also bought nylon washers to go between strong ties and ribs.

Will take pics later, already sealed some wood, but I have to meet a client now.

Good idea on the nylon washers.I was gonna suggest thin wood.Nylon will out last the wood.

Welp, I figure I am going to have to triple everything, haha. I realized I needed more stuff, so I spent most of the day running around, getting the SS hardware from West Marine, getting more 2x2s, etc. I only connected one 2x2 today, but tomorrow I am waking up early and going to try and bang out the framing. This is the first thing I have ever really built, so it will be slow going, but fun. I am only using the SS hardware when the metal touches metal, I am using industrial outdoor screws for the wood. The SS hardware is just too expensive to use it all around (I expected that).

No pictures until I have some progress to show, which should be tomorrow I hope. Once I get this front deck framed and the lights and electrical wired, there will be absolutely no more building this summer (hoping there will be summer left by the time I am done with this, lol) and all fishing and enjoying the water.

Ok, finally some progress to report. It's much more slow going than even I thought. I had to stop because I ran out of screws, despite being told by my father to grab another box because I would need them (did I listen? Nope).

I am not finished framing obviously. I have more to do, and will add another 2x2 on the outsides to give support for the edge of the deck.

I had to go to 2 Home Depots to get enough RBT22's - the one in my town had none left. That's the nice thing about Northeast Jersey, 10 of every store within 10 miles. I was sick of using the nylon washers - I figured there had to be another way. They were each 75 cents to a dollar! So I started thinking - could I buy a sheet of this stuff and cut it to the size I need? Then I thought that I would stroll down the plumbing aisles to see what I could find. Lo and behold, I found the perfect thing - rubber gasket material. It comes in 6x6 small red squares, two to a package, for 3.99. Score, I cut a bunch of little squares, they work so much better.

I am hoping I have enough SS screws to get me through this deck, but I highly doubt it, which means I will have to take another stroll to Home Depot and spend more money on hardware. I need to pick out some handles or cut up some nylon straps, we'll see. Also need to pick up a sheet of 3/4" ply.

Pics are below.

Attachments

• P7180001.JPG
    P7180001.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 1,797
  • P7180002.JPG
    P7180002.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 1,797
  • P7180003.JPG
    P7180003.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 1,797
  • P7180004.JPG
    P7180004.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 1,797
  • P7180005.JPG
    P7180005.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 1,797
Bugpac said:
What are you using for ties? Galvanized or are the alum?

Galvanized Simpson strong ties. But there is rubberized gasket material or nylon washers between them and the aluminum boat.Should be good to go.

Bugpac said:
Then just rivited? I am just looking for info to do mine :) I want to raise the floor a bit...

A lot of people use rivets, but I chose to do stainless screws and exterior galvanized screws (used these for wood to wood drilling, not wood to metal).

An update - the framing is done. The deck is cut - just need to cut out the hatches. It's going to rain tonight, so the tarp is up and the deck is in the shed. It has a coat of sealer, and one coat of spar varnish. I didn't realize my dad bought me Cabot's Marine Varnish, so I will lightly sand with 220 grit and apply that for the next coat. Then I am going to repeat that process an additional 2-4 times, depending on weather, when the marine carpet comes in, and the paperwork from ITS arrives (still waiting for that, though they promised soon, the wait is killing me).

It's really the first thing I've ever built, but I kind of like it, very rewarding (and super time consuming). I bought 4 big galvanized hinges, not sure if I want to use them, though they are pretty solid. The deck is solid, I walked all over it without the plywood, and it didn't give (I'm over 230lbs before breakfast, lol). And with the ply it seemed great. Even made me much smaller, 5 foot gf get up there, she said it was high and she was a bit scared, haha. Pumped about it being sturdy, though.

I have to close my eyes when I look at the left side of my deck curve - I've never used a jig saw, and it came out pretty awful, lol. MY brother said it almost looks like a design, ha. But once the carpet is on it, and I might put some thing there, like a ledge, haven't decided yet. So while it bothers me a bit, I can live with it seeing as it's my first time. Also, the plywood was too short, it only reached 48", so I have another few inches I have to decide on something to do with it. I will likely just cut two pieces and put it there, it won't be ideal but it will have to do. I am going to just put a temp floor on the other parts of the boat I think, I bought some indoor out door carpet without rubber backing I will use. Then in the fall, if I have time, I will make it permanent (we'll see, it's all in the future as of now, so not speaking definitively here).

Here are a few pics.

Attachments

• P7200001.JPG
    P7200001.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 1,707
  • P7200002.JPG
    P7200002.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 1,707
  • P7200003.JPG
    P7200003.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 1,707
  • P7200004.JPG
    P7200004.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 1,707
  • P7200005.JPG
    P7200005.JPG
    53 KB · Views: 1,707
looking good! Thats not to bad of a cut considering it was your first time with a jigsaw...

duckinga said:
looking good! Thats not to bad of a cut considering it was your first time with a jigsaw...

Thanks, but no need to be nice, that cut stinks, haha.

I was thinking of sanding or cutting again, but said leave well enoug alone. I really think with carpet and something along the side of the ledges you won't even see it.

I am thinking of putting down some plywood - before I put on the deck - on the floor of the boat to deaden the noise, If I want to put an anchor or something in there. Wheels are turning.

Latest posts