16' Starcraft Seafarer project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foxmulder

Reaction score
Hey all,

Been reading a ton on this site over the last couple of weeks. Wow talk about good info!

I picked up this boat from my uncle for 2 grand last year, came with the trailer and a 15hp 4 stroke merc with electric start. I went with this boat also because I grew up fishing in this boat. The plan is to add a deck in the back, halve the middle bench and add a casting deck in the front of the boat with a pedestal seat and a bow mount trolling motor. I am going to steelflex the hull and repaint the sides with the Starcraft green, then repaint the inside with something light but not shiny.

Here are some pictures of the boat as she sits right now.

Attachments

• DSC_0607.JPG
    DSC_0607.JPG
    350.8 KB · Views: 1,193
  • DSC_0609.JPG
    DSC_0609.JPG
    311.2 KB · Views: 1,193
  • DSC_0611.JPG
    DSC_0611.JPG
    350.1 KB · Views: 1,193
  • DSC_0614.JPG
    DSC_0614.JPG
    377.4 KB · Views: 1,193
Since I am leaving for a fishing trip in less then a month and need the boat for the trip I won't be starting any major stuff until after that. I have been working on the trailer for now, and will probably mock up a floor.

I have been thinking about using PVC for the framing, but have been reading up a lot on that here and seems like a bad idea. Anyone built using this at all?

Hey man, we should get in touch. I'm in the Peg as well and have the identical boat!!!! So far, I've replaced a bunch of rivets, cut and spar varnished new seats and repainted mine. Will be good to go opening morning. This coming winter I'll be doing all my mods. :beer:

yeah, PVC isn't the best material. It can crack in the cold and breaks down under UV exposure. You can use wood and/or aluminum angle and/or stock to build braces for the floor and decks. You can then screw the decks to the supports using either Stainless Steel screws or aluminum pop-rivets dipped in 3M 5200 marine sealant. Also, be sure you never use pressure treated lumber on and aluminum boat as it will cause electrolytic pitting. Instead use non-PT lumber and/or non-PT exterior grade plywood and seal it. You can use 2-part epoxy, fiberglass mat & resin, or simply use several coats of Spar Urethane or Porch Paint to seal the wood. The epoxy/f'glass route will last forever, but is a little pricey, can be messy and you usually have to order the supplies whereas the Spar Urethane is readily available at any home store along with the aluminum angle, hardware, 3M 5200 and lumber. In fact, you can get everything you need for a complete rebuild from a big box store with the exception of the epoxy and f'glss supplies. I would also add some flotation below the decks in the form of pink/blue insulation board and/or pool noodles from the dollar store. The rule of thumb is that 1 cu. ft. of foam will float 60 lbs. and 1 pool noodle will float about 100 lbs. Hope that helps. Keep us posted. Good luck.

Well I've started getting parts to build this guy up. Good to know about the PVC, gonna go with 2x2. Main reason is cost. I've been putting most of my time into my trailer right now though as I need it for a fishing trip in 3 weeks. Also work wife and 2 year old occupy 85% of my time.

Also, good to see another Pegger on here! Have to trade some war stories.

I can see a pool noodle float a hundred pounds. One will hold my head above water and I am 170.

Any progress?

catsmith said:
I can see a pool noodle float a hundred pounds. One will hold my head above water and I am 170.
are you made of metal and/or wood? if not then that doesn't really apply to how they would work for boats

Latest posts