1648 Alumacraft Casting Deck

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ranger J.

Reaction score
Hello everyone! Like most people who have posted their projects on here, I have been prowling this site for awhile now. Last Tuesday I I got started building the frame for my casting deck. I put in about 4hrs before work. Wednesday I finished the frame, and Thursday started on the decking. Friday I finished cutting the deck out. Everything is held together by 3/16" diameter 1/2" long pop rivets. I am putting hydro turf pads down for deck covering.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    88 KB · Views: 3,156
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    101.4 KB · Views: 3,156
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    69.1 KB · Views: 3,156
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    51.8 KB · Views: 3,156
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    75.3 KB · Views: 3,156
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    66.5 KB · Views: 3,156
Sweet looking deck. Good choice in materials. I just recently got a sample of hydro turf. They sent me the old style and the new style. I went thru a company called Gatortrax. I thought the new style was a lot more durable and definitely had better grip. I'm curious if your familiar with it? I am still not sure if I'm going with the hydro turf or something different. Anyway...nice build so far.

Thanks guys on the compliments. Slough Runner, I am familiar with Gatortrax, but not with the difference between Hydroturfs styles. I ordered Hydroturf's "B" stock, has imperfections, directly from them and it cost $125 for two sheets 47"x86" shipped. I have looked at, felt, and talked with people who have used hydroturf, rhinoliner, and other antislip coatings. From what I gathered hydroturf fits my application best, and is easier on gear when it is on the deck. I am going to use 2" double sided tape to hold the sheets to the metal. I took it out today to test it, and the deck has ZERO flex to it, and is very stable. I did find a few rivets that will need to be replaced in the hull., as they were leaking.

Finally got my HydroTurf in today, will upload pictures soon of the floor covering and progress made tomorrow. Took the boat out on the Mississippi the other day. Motor was hard to crank, did not want to idle, and water pump not putting water out like it should. So I dumped the gas and bought some non-ethanol gas (only place I have found that sales it, but you pay for it :) ), cleaned the carb, and found a decent tear in the water pump top seal. I ordered the sale and replaced it today ($3 part, $9 shipping). I am getting closer to the finish line.

Sorry it took so long to get these uploaded. Progress had been slow and work was interfering. I have the hatches cut out, and the hydro turf taped down. I used pieces of a sinch strap to make the handles. And have the hole cut out for the pedestal to be put in. Should be able to finish up tomorrow since I will be off work. [-o<

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    35.6 KB · Views: 2,421
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    39.4 KB · Views: 2,421
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    84.9 KB · Views: 2,421
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    73.2 KB · Views: 2,421
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    83.4 KB · Views: 2,421
I finished the deck today. Worked on it for 10 hours straight to get it finished. I have the depth finders wired up to one battery and the trolling motor to another. Hinges were a pain to get right, and still are not perfect. But they work and do the job. It took me three weeks working on it when I could to finish it. I am pleased with the way it turned out.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    49.6 KB · Views: 2,366
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    52.9 KB · Views: 2,366
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    53.6 KB · Views: 2,366
Here are pictures during the day.

Attachments