My 1648 Project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tbarnby

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm not sure if I've ever posted before, but do a lot more reading than writing. So, here's where I am, and my questions:

I have a 1984 Lowe 1648 Big John. I bought it a year ago, and just got around to removing all of the 2X4s and waterlogged 3/4" plywood decking. The previous owner had also put on 2X8 lumber frames on the center bench seat, that held the pivoting seats. The Aluminum on the bench is really bad, and needs to be corrected somehow. I was thinking some 1/2" plywood with carpet over it for that section. The front deck should have lights for bowfishing, and a 80lb trolling motor. Underside should have 4 batteries for the trolling motor and lights.

Front deck: I'm going to use Aluminum Angle and pop rivets for the framing. Probably 1.5". My questions is whether to use 1/16" or 1/8" for the framing. Also, I'd assume that with adequate framing, 1/2" plywood would work.

The boat has been over-powered with a long shaft motor, with a big aluminum riser plate. The torque seems to have slightly buckled the floor up forward of the transom. I plan to anneal that section and straighten out the hump, then reinforce the area from the transom to the rear bench with more 1.5" aluminum angle. I suppose I should go ahead and deck that out too. The area gets nothing more than a 6 gallon fuel tank, a cranking battery for the motor, and a bilge pump. I'm sure I can work out the framing and bracing to use the same material/parts. I live in the middle of Amish country, so it's tough to get decent materials without a 2 hour drive! So, I want to make sure I buy the right stuff up front. Thanks!
Tim