1648 Center console or stick steer?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Making Progress!!

Got some fresh foam and .063 gauge aluminum floors in. Sealed all the gaps and edges in with paintable silicone. Next, to scuff all the aluminum, prime, and a few coats of Herculiner bed liner for a nice sealed, grippy floor. Goal is to be able to have traction, lightweight and most of all be able to spray the floors clean after a fishing trip.

Hopefully the Herculiner gives you enough traction. I can only imagine how slippery that would get once water gets on it.....:) Interested to see pics after you apply Herculiner....:) Looks like it is coming together nicely.

Got the floor all done this weekend. Fire, This stuff is rubberized and has some serious texture (if you mix frequently and apply it correctly.) I expect that it will not be slippery at all when wet. Hopefully it holds up well. If it does, I will likely remove all of the carpet and hit the whole inside of the boat. At $70 a gallon, who's crying?

Thanks for the after pics, does look to have a good bit of texture to it. Looks nice applied also.

Fire1386 said:
Thanks for the after pics, does look to have a good bit of texture to it. Looks nice applied also.
Sure thing!

It's been 2 full days now, full cure is 2-4 days. Been nice and warm out with a bright sun, so it has done well. Has a real rubbery feel to the touch. I like it!!

There was quite a bit of morning dew on it this morning. I hopped in and walked around. Felt solid, didn't feel slick. I think if your soles were slick you may go for a ride, but I had my normal boots on and had good traction. I have heard from others that you can add sand for even more grit. I think that would be a good idea.

It was very easy to lay down a few coats of this stuff. Took my time and rolled on real nice and textured. I have a bit of painting experience but I think a novice could do this as long as they spent the time and didn't rush through it.............

I would like an opinion here guys. I have a bit of a decision to make.

I would like to have my passenger up with me when running. I also want the boat to not lean to one side or the other when I am the only one in it. It would be nice to have the console directly in the center of the boat, but if I do that there isn't enough room for my passenger to stand comfortably beside me. I was thinking about moving the console to the right about 6-8", kind of splitting the difference. What do you guys think? Here are pics of direct center and shifted to one side. Does it detract from the looks some?

You might consider adding adjustable trim tabs. Lenco makes some good electric ones, and Bennet makes hydraulics.

While I like Smart Tabs, the two brands listed above will allow you to adjust on the water for whatever weight or balance considerations you run into.

Now, since I don't know much about bass boat hull shapes, there may be some reason that tabs won't work...but they work on tons of other boats.

richg99

richg99 said:
You might consider adding adjustable trim tabs. Lenco makes some good electric ones, and Bennet makes hydraulics.

While I like Smart Tabs, the two brands listed above will allow you to adjust on the water for whatever weight or balance considerations you run into.

Very true. But for sake of simplicity I don't think I want to go this route. Plus I don't want tabs hanging down when I'm running the rocky shallows.

Having a passenger up there next to you will be a challenge no matter how the console is mounted. I would say center the console so it's well balanced.

You could always fabricate some sort of leaning post with a grab bar on the back for your passenger. That way he/she could stand right behind you.

Also, I'm not sure if you have your steering figured out yet, but I have a 15' Teleflex QC steering cable that need to get rid of. It's in really good shape, and I really don't want to throw it away. I'll make you a really good deal on it if you're interested.

Looks nice.

I do think the deck will be hot, but probably can't be any hotter than the shiny all aluminum deck that I had in my former Lowe. I could have fried eggs on that one, after a day in the Texas sun.

richg99

Yea it hasn't been too bad in the 90 degree sun we have had. But yea I mean thenboat is unpainted aluminum so...... you won't catch me out in this in the mid day sun anyhow. That's what the 20' fiberglass boat with canopy is for.

Took her out for a run yesterday. She ran great!! Had a buddy up front with me and we hopped right up on plane. Since I beat the dimples out of the bottom of the boat, the cavitation is gone. I was on a lake with a decent amount of chop and wakes coming At me. I can even trim out to 90degrees once I am planed and still no cavitation!! I am so much happier with this boat, it is unreal!