18 foot Ghetto Queen

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoyoBoyle

Reaction score
I've spent a long time looking around these forums and now i can finally participate a bit!

I just picked up my first jon boat yesterday and I'm looking to do some modifying to it. Im really excited about what i got. For close to a year I've been looking all over craigs list and ebay for a decent priced 14' boat with a trailer (probably 600-800 for both), and it just so happens while im driving through town, i see this big monster for sale, so i gotta check it out....

Turns out to be an 18' Lowe Big Jon boat. Im guessing around a 48" or more width. And this thing is just HUGE!!!.... and with a pretty nice price of 750. I offered him 500 and he accepted :eek:

So here it is,
The trailer seems to be in good shape, it needs a new light or two. The boat could definitely use a paint job. It has a few cracks and dings, but I think it should be alright. The only major ding i see is on the front. It looks like someone drove this boat up on shore too quickly or hit something, I'll have to see what I can do about that.

As far as mods!
Im thinking about a dark blue color on the outside and a flat gray or cream color on the inside. I would like a deck on the front thats level with the front bench. flooring in between the two bench seats, and some storage (still not ure exactly where). Im also thinking about adding maybe a padded bench in the middle. Something if i wanna have more than one other person on the boat. I'd like to add in a ladder off the back for swimming. Im probably gonna start off with a 50lb thrust transom-mount to get me around at first before I can save up money for an outboard.

Let me know what you guys think!
Here's the pics

The boat as I purchased it
100_0291.jpg

100_0295.jpg

100_0292.jpg

Ripped out the carpet
100_0297.jpg

The dent.... :?
100_0299.jpg

Ghetto Queen 8)
100_0293.jpg

sweet deal I love this boat for potential purposes.. keep the decks that are on there to trace them when you put new ones on there so you dont have to worry about re measuring.. thats just my opinion unless you are real picky and want to redo them but I think they look good. Get a trolling motor and fish with it before you decide how you want it layed out is my opinion.. good luck

Home Grown Basser said:
Oh my. I hope a new paint job is in order?

Oh yea. As a matter of fact, im hiding it behind my house until i get my first coat on

Queencitybassman said:
sweet deal I love this boat for potential purposes.. keep the decks that are on there to trace them when you put new ones on there so you dont have to worry about re measuring.. thats just my opinion unless you are real picky and want to redo them but I think they look good. Get a trolling motor and fish with it before you decide how you want it layed out is my opinion.. good luck

Good idea about the decks. They did fit in pretty well, they would make a great reference.

By the way... does anyone think i might run into stability problems? You think this boat could hold three people pretty easily?

Get that winch post straightened out. Thats what caused the dent.

I think the trailer is to short for the boat. I would add some length to the tongue.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:

Looks that way to me too.

BoyoBoyle said:
By the way... does anyone think i might run into stability problems? You think this boat could hold three people pretty easily?

You shouldn't have any problem with 3 people in the boat. You could probably have 4 with no problem.

Brine said:
lckstckn2smknbrls said:

Looks that way to me too.

The winch post? is that the post with the roller on it that right in the dent? Should it be at a lower angle?

If so, how do i fix it?

i can't tell you how to fix it, but i have the exact same problem with mine. but dont feel bad, mine cracked instead of bent

First, it looks to me like you need to have 2 or more feet of tongue welded on the trailer. That would allow the boat to move forward such that you could properly support the boat with 8ft or 10 ft 2 x 4 bunks. The bow stop should be touching the boat higher and closer to the bow of the boat instead of under it. You may benefit by installing a secondary 2x4 crosswise between the bow stop and the roller in the picture to support the bow of the boat better, but it's hard to give you guidance without seeing better pics of the trailer setup.

Take some time to go through the mods on here. Almost everyone has to work on the trailer, and you'll get lots of ideas on how to improve yours. For now, I'd stick with the Flat Bottom Mods to help you with the trailer.

BoyoBoyle said:
Oh yea. As a matter of fact, im hiding it behind my house until i get my first coat on
:lol:
That's hilarious.

Have fun with it. Keep us updated.

Cool boat, I like the name. Kinda like a rat rod. The suggestion to fish it first to decide what you want is a good one. The trailer looks like it is for a 14' boat. One problem you may have is getting it to float off of the trailer when on the ramp without having to back your vehicle into the water, since the tongue is so short. It would probably be very helpful to add a few feet to the tongue so you can move the boat forward to eliminate the rear overhang and get the boat out into the water at the ramp.

Good luck, have fun and keep us posted.

I agree that the winch post caused that dent. As its sits now, the winch is pulling the boat straight down onto the roller. As the boat bounces going down the road (they move while trailering to some degree) it is hammering itself into that roller.

As others have said, the proper fix would be to get a longer tongue or new/longer trailer so the boat is adequately supported on the bunks and get a winch post that is taller so the stop rests on the slight angle that the bow eye is on, not under the bow.

When the winch and stop are set up properly, the nose of the boat is pulled by the winch esentially straight forward into the stop holding it firmly. Add a good set of straps on the transom and the boat barely moves while trailering.

How wide is the bottom on that thing? Knowing its an 18' hull i am guessing its atleast 48" wide if not more. With any modicum of care there is no reason 3 guys wouldnt be safe in that boat and likely 4.

I have a 16' tracker jon with a 48" bottom IIRC and we run 4 guys in it duck hunting (mostly sitting) and stability is fine, 3 guys standing up to fish is not a probelm either.

Wow! I like the size of that tub. 18s are kinda rare, at least where I'm from. That boat looks to have a lot of potential. I would fix or replace the trailer and go fishing. Enjoy!

man sweet find! if you get tired of hiding it ill be happy to take it off your hands :LOL2:

sooo, does that make you the ghetto princess now? :mrgreen: lol (only joking)

i hate to steal your thunder but how do you extend the tongue properly. i mean i'm sure i could rig something up but its better to just do it right the first time

Latest posts