18' V Hull Princecraft Project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
At 65 I want a simple light boat I can toss into Plymouth Bay and chase stripers and run the Grand kids out to the beach and flats. Here she it, just washed and now planning. I would love ideas. This is not a freshwater bass boat although it will spend some time inland. Mostly the bays, beaches and backwaters of Cape Cod Bay. My thoughts are platform over forward bench pair with storage locker. I dont need a live well. perhaps floor in open bays. Before I start buying crap I would love some input from those with more experience than me.IMG_1857.JPGIMG_1856.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1855.JPG
    IMG_1855.JPG
    141.5 KB · Views: 0
You fish striper and you don't need a live well (bait well)? That would probably be my first requirement! Anyway, that is a nice looking hull and should be great for inshore fishing!

Since you asked, flooring in the two main areas would make moving around a little easier. An immediate option to decking in the bow area would be some cheap backpacks filled with gear & just toss them up there. After using it awhile you can decide if adding a deck would be the best option.

HEY... My boat used to look like that!

Here is what I did to it. First, I added a small console and a front platform with a leaning post, and a saltwater trolling motor. Gives great space to fish from, and I don't have to drive all twisted around:

00f0f_g1OPmxxCnny_1200x900.jpg00I0I_6gduhlinOxF_1200x900.jpg

Then, I added a back platform/seat out of 3/4" plywood and some angle aluminum stiffener. Adds even more fishing room to the boat:

20160907_142248.jpg
Then I added some inexpensive marine carpet from Lowes to the platform and center bunk:

Resized_20220902_193152.jpeg

Finally, used some light aluminum angle mounted along the bottoms of the bunks to make the floor flat between the bunks. Looks like someone did something similar on yours, but much higher. Mine goes from the chine to chine for best stability:

Resized_20220902_193134.jpeg

Not a great pic, but you get the idea. One day, I might put a flat floor in the back of the boat, but it doesn't have a lot of V like the front, so not a pressing issue.

I am very happy with the boat. Super utility, I use in fresh and saltwater. Have caught a lot of striper in this boat. Not a soft ride in chop, but is very seaworthy. I raised the transom, but yours might be a 20" already.

GREAT hull! I hope you enjoy fishing as you modify it to suit your needs.