18hp evinrude

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassonater

Reaction score
i recently busted my shearpin on prop i can't knock what is left in the shaft out i was wondering if i could drill the rest out? is this ok as long as i don't make the hole any bigger? really need to get back on the water it is that time of year here in bama.thanks for any help.

i did, i'm afraid of bending the shaft . but you an i have the same mind frame bigger is better for most things!lol

bassonater said:
i recently busted my shearpin on prop i can't knock what is left in the shaft out i was wondering if i could drill the rest out? is this ok as long as i don't make the hole any bigger? really need to get back on the water it is that time of year here in bama.thanks for any help.

When you say shear pin, I am assuming you are referring to item# 4( see image from link). The shaft you are referring to is item #32 from the image from supplied link.

https://www.boats.net/images/diagrams/brp/IMAGES/279270/12.png

Well, thankfully I have not had the pleasure of trying to remove a shear/drive pin stuck in the propeller shaft.

I have a couple of suggestions, that you may be able to try.
- spray some liquid wrench or WD40 on both side of the hole and let it sit for a little while and repeat 2 or 3 times. Trying to get some lubricate in the hole if possible. Please unplug your spark wires, you don't want to accidentally start you motor playing around the gear case.

- With the propeller off and the motor upright on the boat or a solid stand, support the end of the propeller shaft with a block of wood, to give it support and structure on that end. Wood is soft and won't damage the end of the shaft.

- instead of a punch, because it is tapered at the end, get a nail just smaller than the hole the drive pin is stuck in. Tap firmly, but carefully not bend or damage your propeller shaft. The punch is not even its whole length and gradually widens and this may keep you from advancing forward, the sturdy nail is even all the way through and you may be able to advance the sheared drive pin out.

- Call or go buy a local machine shop and have then professionally and carefully drill/remove the drive pin out. Remove your lower unit to make this easier for them and you. And while you have the lower unit down, change the impeller if it is due. I'm sure the machine shop wouldn't charge you more than $20 to do the job. They have all the equipment to do it right.

I'm sorry I couldn't have been more help.

Good luck my friend, I hope you get that darn drive pin out.

cajuncook1

if you do try a punch make sure you use a long shaft punch so that as it widens you will have plenty of length to push the pin out! also try gently working it loose from both sides... try P.B. Blaster....works loads better than wd40....sold at most autoparts stores, napa or oreillys here in al.

drilling may be tricky for the average joe, bits can walk without you being able to see it! which would widden the hole or make it off center,,,