1950 Jon build

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frydaddy

Reaction score
hey guys I have been reading a lot and asking a few questions but decided to start a mod. I got so excited when I saw a utube of mods from here that I decided to jump in. I bought this old 1950 monster and that is where I will start but a few days later I couldn't pass on an 18footer for 300 bucks! yes I went from no boat to 2 boats in less than a week. and yes im single or im sure I would be after that crazy move.

back to the beast. I always thought Jon boat was just a name but on the title it says Jon. is this an old manufacturer? or did the state just not know what else to call it some yrs back. plan starting out is to seal leaky rivets, move back seat back about a foot to open center up space for 3 hunters to sit in middle, and a deck up front for storage and fishing from, also add back deck to keep crazy 65lb dog off battery and gas tank. maybe add a rod/gun box along one side. and build a pop up style blind.

seems simple enough but I already took at least 300 lbs of crap off her. steel tubing deck bolted to side of boat and 3/4in plywood thru out. im sure I will have a ton more questions but here we go.

Attachments

• 20150322_111143.jpg
    20150322_111143.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 1,406
also already sanded and sprayed outside with self etching primer.

Attachments

• 20150323_185249.jpg
    20150323_185249.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 1,396
  • 20150331_161213.jpg
    20150331_161213.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 1,396
awesome awesome AWESOME find !!!

how WIDE is that thing (across the bottom) ????

I have been looking for that exact same thing forEVER - 1860 size.

good job !! Take your time, don't rush it. ENJOY

As for the photos, they must be in the desired size and format PRIOR to posting here.
I am guessing you are using one of those smart phone things ?? LOL
I am Old School and process my photos on my laptop art program - then post.

:WELCOME:

That thing looks humongous! All the area you'll ever need unless you start having parties on it lol. You could do some great things with a boat that size. Good luck with it.

sorry for slow reply I had to get away from the boat for a couple days to chase long beards. didn't get a big one but did shoot a jake witch will taste just as good ground up with some green chili salsa wrapped in a tortilla.

it is 1660.
it is very wide between middle and back seat wich is what I liked right from the start. im going to move back seat back about 9inches that will give me 70inches between the seats that should give me room for 3 people to hunt from the middle.and still have almost 2ft for battery and gas tank in the back. if that crowds the gas tank too much then I will just take it out and frame a deck back there.

got after the bottom with a cup brush on a drill. should have got one for my grinder. 3 hours and only got half down to metal. I should be able to knock out the rest tomorrow afternoon if I don't burn up my drill motor!!!

finished taking bottom down to bare metal. me and the drill survived. some really nasty spots welded under there but they don't leak son on to coating.

Attachments

• 20150409_163946.jpg
    20150409_163946.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 1,231
finally did something with boat today. rain and work have slowed me down, but I have trailer done I hope. also laid the gatorglide base coat down today. started out in direct sun light thinking it would help it dry faster. :shock: boy was I right kicked my butt. I put up a shade so the second coat went down a lot easier. didn't buy enough for a third or fourth coat. im hoping the the g2 will cover more going on the base instead of bare metal.

Attachments

• 20150419_103235.jpg
    20150419_103235.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 1,188
  • 20150419_115302.jpg
    20150419_115302.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 1,188
got a base coat on sides and I think im getting it flipped back over this weekend. and hopefuly back on trailer. also scoped out craigs list for tool boxes and there is a ton of them for 100 bucks. I may go that route for a gun box if I can find one narrow enough. if not im thinking I could cut part of the back and bottom out to snug it up closer to the side of the boat. if anyone needs diamond plate that seems like a good place to get it cheep enough. especially if you need smaller pieces.

Latest posts