1956 Lone Star Road Scout Trailer

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexasLoneStar56

Reaction score
Good morning!
This old trailer has seen it's better days, but it is still sound and road worthy. It was built with a telescoping tongue and winch, but the tongue has been welded. The back tilts, but the handle has been cut off. I've searched for pics of a trailer like it, but can't seem to find one with the handle/closure in clear view. Does anybody remember what it looked like?; how it was attached?; how it worked? Seems like it would be spring loaded with maybe a steel rod "Z" for the handle, but I'm just not sure.

I know I will have to manufacture one and weld it on, but I need some ideas. Any and all comments are welcome! :)

Thank You!
Keith

Attachments

• 8.5.14trailer2.jpg
    8.5.14trailer2.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 1,056
Trailer pic. Bungied where handle is suppose to be. (pardon any misspelling)

Attachments

• 8.5.14trailer3.jpg
    8.5.14trailer3.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 1,038
Trailer pic telescoping winch. How does this thing work? Why would a person even need it? :?

Attachments

• 8.5.14trailer5.jpg
    8.5.14trailer5.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 1,035
My buddy had a trailer similar to yours that was original to his late 50's 14ft Lone Star V hull. He had gotten the boat from the original owner so the trailer was in original shape. On his there never was a lever for the tilt mechanism, it just tilted freely which made it great for shallow & unimproved ramps/no ramp situations. His trailer was an all roller bunk trailer too. It looks like to me that there have been a few modifications done to it over the years but nothing that takes any originality away from it. I'd say make it your own; to work perfect for you. Hey by the way it's a very cool trailer, they just don't make em like that anymore!!! :mrgreen: I wish I could find one for my old v hull.

CCM,

Thank you! I appreciate your information. I have searched and searched for something that is spring loaded, to make sure it is latched and secure during travel. I may have come across just that through etrailer. However, the plate is aluminum bolt on, so I can't weld it on. The pin is stainless so that's perfect. I'll have to weld a plate to bolt it to.

I understand how the tilt trailers work, I just don't understand about the locking/secure, nor the telescoping winch on this one. #-o

Your information is exactly what I was looking for. Someone who remembers! :)

Thanks again my fellow Texan!
Keith