1957 12' Lonestar Corvette

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldschool863

Reaction score
This is a 1957, 12 ft, Lonestar Corvette that I acquired and was in pretty rough condition when I recieved it. Unfortunately I did not take any pictures before I removed the paint but needless to say it was not a good looking boat. I stripped it and repainted it and replaced the transom. I am going to use this boat for fishing and duck hunting in Florida and I would like some ideas of what I could do to improve it.

I would like to know how I could mount my trolling motor on the bow without building a plywood deck (as I have seen many others do).

I would also like to know how I could put flat decking in between the seats without adding a lot of weight to the boat. This is not a necessity, just something that would make life a little easier (and not as loud) while moving around.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 2013-04-03 21.07.01.jpg
    2013-04-03 21.07.01.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 1,487
  • 2013-04-02 07.38.05.jpg
    2013-04-02 07.38.05.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 1,487
  • 2013-03-23 17.11.51.jpg
    2013-03-23 17.11.51.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 1,487
  • 2013-03-22 15.42.34.jpg
    2013-03-22 15.42.34.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 1,487
  • 2013-03-22 15.43.00.jpg
    2013-03-22 15.43.00.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 1,487
Yeah its mahogony, the picture is from when I fitted it. I have it sealed now, which made it beautiful and it seems to be durable.

I just don't know if I could bring myself to clamp a motor onto that piece of wood! Now I'm jealous! :mrgreen: Mighty purdy! =D>

Cool, I have the 1950 14' version. I have never heard of them being called a corvette before.
P1010187_zps89d2ba2e.jpg

P1010186_zps5b7b7ee1.jpg

I may be wrong calling it that, it is a 57' (per the stamped vin on the back) and the only thing that resembles it is the 57' corvette. It came in a 12' and a 14'. I have done a lot of research but there is not a whole lot of info out there. I am just happy that I was able to bring it back to life.

I think your right according to this.
file.php

Found it here on tinboats, I had just never heard of it being the model name.

I am more than happy with the outcome of our first family fishing trip. It makes all of the work on the boat worth it........Now I just need to catch a picture worthy fish.

Attachments

• beck and dad.jpg
    beck and dad.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 1,254
I used the duralux aluminum boat paint. It is cheap and easy to use. It only cost $85 to paint the whole boat and I still have a quart left over.

It is a latex paint so you have to be careful what you put on it. I had a rubber worm on the seat and it started to adhere to the paint. Other than that it is great stuff. Seems to be fairly durable.

I am tossing around the idea of putting some grizzly grip on the floor inside and around the rub rail to help it from getting scratched up but I am not sure how it would adhere to the paint. It is a fishing / duck hunting boat so it is gonna get beat up. For what its worth, it is pretty good paint.

If I had to do it again, I may go the traditional method (zinc chromate primer and paint). But anyone looking for a cheap and easy way to paint an aluminum boat should give the duralux a try.

I have one of these that has been in my family since it was new in 1955, its a great boat. I like how you painted yours, I tried to match the color scheme on mine to what it was back then based on old pictures.

I just got a very similar boat (in terrible shape) but i am fixing it up for a first boat, none the less. Yours looks great. Did you add a floor yet or are you waiting for cooler weather?

I would also like to know how I could put flat decking in between the seats without adding a lot of weight to the boat. This is not a necessity, just something that would make life a little easier (and not as loud) while moving around.

I used 1/2" plywood, cut to size with pool noodle supports on my Alumacraft 14', 1959. Needed one 3.5 in piece of 2x4 where I miscalculated. Ended up with indoor outdoor carpet on them. To further silence things, I took pipe insullation closed cell tubes, which are already split length-wise, and snuggeed them on the sides, so no wood touched the boat. Plywood is slightly longer than open space, and is tucked an inch or so under seats. I'll try and get links from other thread, but the images are on the middle part of page 3.

Pictures should be in the link below from last year's build account.

Worked a charm, and no permanent installation to the boat. Don't fly up during trailering, either. Lightweight, no real carpentry. Perfect for me. :)

You have done very nicely.

https://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj297/Kismethimself/Boats/nerfsupportseconddeckrear.jpg

https://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj297/Kismethimself/Boats/alumafromrearleftsidefacingforwardcarpetpaint.jpg

https://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj297/Kismethimself/Boats/vintageoarsbothfromleftwithstoragebox.jpg

Best wishes.

Oldschool,

When you redid your transom, what did you take out to remove/install the wood? The cap on top or the braces inside? I'd love to see some pics on what was there before and how you did it. Did you buy the mahogany just for that?

Thanks Kis.I like the idea.
Can you link to one more photo that shows how you varied thickness or just provide a link to the other topic?

Latest posts