196? Sears Jon boat project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevinC1980

Reaction score
I have a 1960 something Sears Jon boat that I am working on. When I got it it leaked a little around the rivits. I have stopped the leaks and sanded it down and put a spray on bedliner on it since I fish around alot of rocks and stumps in shallow water to help protect the hull. I need to take a new pic to upload but this is what it started out looking like.

My next project is to add a few rod holders and brackets to hang a light of each side for night fishing. Also I need to go thru the motor, it has sat for about 2 years and not ran so I am sure there will be a few bugs to work out. I have a 30# thrust trolling motor for it also for the electric motor only lakes. I will use the outboard for the river when I get it running right.

I also need to do a little work to the trailer, sand and paint, repack wheel bearings, and replace the tires. The rollers are still good so thats a plus.

Well figured I would post up my project and see what input I get and I am always open to suggestions. I love to try stuff and experiment with options. Gives me something to do and keeps me out of trouble lol.

Kevin

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    104.3 KB · Views: 1,469
I do have one question, I would like to put a fish finder on here. What would better for a small jon like this, a real fish finder thats mounted permanent or something like a humminbird 140c thats a all in 1 unit and mounts to the transom?

KevinC1980 said:
I do have one question, I would like to put a fish finder on here. What would better for a small jon like this, a real fish finder thats mounted permanent or something like a humminbird 140c thats a all in 1 unit and mounts to the transom?

Hey Kevin, welcome to the site!

I don't think you need to buy the Humminbird 140c unless you have different boats you want to use it on, or have a severe aversion to drilling holes in your current boat. I find that unit to be expensive for what you get. You can get a decent sonar unit for a lot less than the 140c.

For less than the price of the 140c you can get a Humminbird 570, or for a little more than the 140c you could get the Humminbird 581i sonar/gps combo (which is on sale at Cabela's for $299).

I honestly dont have any problems drilling a hole in it. I actually may check out that Hummingbird 581i that you mentioned. I have just purchased a few led spotlights to put on the sides for night fishing and a couple lights to use in the boat to see to rig poles in the dark. Now just have to find time to install them and get more pics up. Hopefully I can have a fishfinder purchased and installed before my next outing. Which shouldnt be a problem, my truck is going in the shop today. The air injection system is malfunctioning and they say it could take a week or so to get some parts from Japan (07 Tundra 4.7 v-8) seems to be a common problem with these newer Tundras and Sequoias.

Thanks for the info on the Hummingbird

Finally had a day off work and I pulled my 4.5 Mercury out of the basement. I mounted it to the tailgate of my truck hooked the gas tank to it and well just as I figured, 2 years of setting in the basement has taken its toll. It will start and idle but wont take the gas. Looks like a carb cleaning/rebuild is in order. The gas lines and bulb are good and not dry rotted. I have never done this on a boat motor but cant figure it will be much different than a lawnmower or 2 barrel car carb. Hopefully I can get it fixed up and running smooth soon.

Attachments

• 225653_220737557942707_100000193927191_1018234_3537077_n.jpg
    225653_220737557942707_100000193927191_1018234_3537077_n.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 1,265
I did, I had it in a 55 gallon drum filled with water. I had to do it that way, the water intake is right above the prop in the foot and I couldnt use the muffs for it.

Latest posts