1969 Ouchita - Full Restoration Project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zeedogg

Reaction score
Let's start with the basics...

What did I get?
I got a Ouchita 15'42 Jon Boat. (Duck Build)
25hp Tiller Short Shaft Mercury Outboard.
2 Trailers.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.jpg

Not pictured is the other trailer. Actually, the trailer that I will be using. I sold the trailer pictured for $150 on craigslist recently.

What have I done so far?
I have completely gutted the boat. I have stripped every bit of crap out of it. It was down to bare aluminum, less any crappy paint left over or liquid nail he used. The first step was to replace the transom. I have completely replaced the old wood. I cut a sheet of 3/4" marine grade plywood and doubled it up for the replacement transom.

8.jpg

What's next?
I have started framing out the rear area since I was back there with transom reworking. (Wish I got shots of that process. I will take pic from top down tho to show later...... I will be placing the gas tank and battery box compartments near the back. I plan to use the existing rear bench as storage as well. Or I may fill it all with spray in flotation foam. Unsure yet,

9.jpg

After getting this far, I have decided to take out what I have put in, and as a safety measure, Gluvit the interior of the boat. After that, steelflex the outside. Then I will finish what I started on the inside. More pictures and updates to come. This projext will probably be slow moving.

Thanks for lookin'

I put a thin layer of Gluvit on the inside of the boat. Covering all seems, rivets, bends, etc. I also applied a second coat on top of that a little thicker....I was about to move onto the steelflex for the outside but I ran into something that I needed guidance on...

One question I have, is what do I do about screw holes that were made from the previous owners duck deck he had installed? There was no flotation and the screw holes are all over the place....

Another question I have is, should I do the interior first, then flip the boat over THEN steelflex?

Thanks.

I would do the exterior first, this way the boat weighs less and is easier to handle.

Yah, thats what I was thinkin. But I just don't know how to effectively patch the guys old screw holes, before steelflexing. Also, there is a dent i'd like filled. What material would work for both application?

Or different for each issue?

Thx

It's been super busy lately. I haven't had as much time as I thought so updates have been few and far between. So far, however, I have some pictures from the last updates we did.

We got the front deck framed and put in, next is notching out some compartments and finish putting the carpet down.
10.jpg

_-_-_
We got the floor installed with flotation under it, and then carpeted that as well.
11.jpg

_-_-_
We got the back frame built and are going to make compartments there, then carpet that as well.
12.jpg

_-_-_
And this is the front of the boat where the floor meets the deck front. That will be a hatch and have storage under there as well
13.jpg

_-_-_

That's all we've done so far. It shouldn't be too many more days invested until she's all done. I'd say in a couple of weeks, I should have her prime for a water run, complete with fishing!

:) =D>

You might want to rethink the use of treated lumber. Do a google search on treated wood and aluminum and you'll find ample sources of info on why you don't want to do that.

Latest posts