'57 Alumacraft Deep C import

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abu Josh

Reaction score
After months of minimal progress, I'm on a roll now. The boat was a barn find from South Dakota and imported to my swampy homeland. Hoping to have it in the water within a month. The first photo is the one that set the hook into me. It didn't look that bad, but when I started to dig into it there was a lot that needed to be taken care of.
I got the trailer down to bare metal and hit it with primer and Rust Oleum Regal Red. The bearings were changed out, etc. Had no idea about TeeNee trailers and their colors, so I just went with what I thought was close. Lessons learned.
The transom wood was really rough so I took that out and replaced it with some nice cypress, which is fairly easy to get around here. I made sure to mark up the old transom wood with what nuts and bolts went where. I'm trying to reuse as much of the old hardware as possible. The old wood was used as templates. The mix I used for the new transom wood was 2 ounces of spar varnish, 2 ounces of Tung Oil, 2 ounces of mineral spirits for the first coat. The wood absolutely soaked it up. Then it got two coats of spar varnish with a full day of drying between all coats.
More updates to follow, any helpful hints from old salts are greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 1957DeepC_01.jpg
    1957DeepC_01.jpg
    308.8 KB · Views: 2
  • s-l1600 (18).jpg
    s-l1600 (18).jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1372.JPG
    IMG_1372.JPG
    229.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1394.JPG
    IMG_1394.JPG
    174.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1153.JPG
    IMG_1153.JPG
    231.3 KB · Views: 0
  • old transom wood.JPG
    old transom wood.JPG
    143.4 KB · Views: 0
  • stern.JPG
    stern.JPG
    165.7 KB · Views: 0
  • new transom.jpg
    new transom.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 0
I love the look of the boat with the "bow hood" if I can call it that. The steering wheel being right up front is a bonus as well. You're going to enjoy the boat, I'm sure. Thanks for posting the progress.