1970 14ft Jcpenney Foremost

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadow Jr.

Reaction score
Does anyone have any information about who manufactured boats for Jcpenneys in the late 60s early 70s?

Attachments

• 20230906_181805.jpg
    20230906_181805.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230906_181824.jpg
    20230906_181824.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230906_180520.jpg
    20230906_180520.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 0
If I were a betting man, I'd put my money on StarCraft.
The Foremost boat stuff is pretty elusive, but your model has definitive StarCraft design cues.
The transom knee and the bow plate, especially.
Fwiw, StarCraft was well-known for providing badge engineered boats for several other catalog brands and hardware stores, too.

If I were a betting man, I'd put my money on StarCraft.
The Foremost boat stuff is pretty elusive, but your model has definitive StarCraft design cues.
The transom knee and the bow plate, especially.
Fwiw, StarCraft was well-known for providing badge engineered boats for several other catalog brands and hardware stores, too.

Thanks for the reply.
I also noticed when I replaced the transom board my penny's boat has some signs of light blue and red paint.
I've read on previous post that Lund used those colors back in the'70s.

Thanks for the reply.
I also noticed when I replaced the transom board my penny's boat has some signs of light blue and red paint.
I've read on previous post that Lund used those colors back in the'70s.
for what it's worth, 1972 is when the federal HIN program began. If it were manufactured after that, it would have the 12 digit HIN plate permanently attached to the outside of the transom. In that scenario, the first three letters of the 12 would be a code for manufacturer no matter what the boat's badge says.

edit: I just noticed your title has 1970 as a known date. That "back in the 70s" phrase threw me off.
...but yeah, Lund also provided some badge engineered boats, if I'm not mistaken. That transom knee is very, very Starcraft, though.

Last edited:
for what it's worth, 1972 is when the federal HIN program began. If it were manufactured after that, it would have the 12 digit HIN plate permanently attached to the outside of the transom. In that scenario, the first three letters of the 12 would be a code for manufacturer no matter what the boat's badge says.

edit: I just noticed your title has 1970 as a known date. That "back in the 70s" phrase threw me off.
...but yeah, Lund also provided some badge engineered boats, if I'm not mistaken. That transom knee

...but yeah, Lund also provided some badge engineered boats, if I'm not mistaken. That transom knee is very, very Starcraft, though.
Did Starcraft manufacturer aluminum boats with 3 transom knees? I know my pictures don't show the transom very well, but I have 3 knees attached to the transom. As old as this boat is it's a solid little vessel. No loose or missing rivets and no welds. The only thing I've replaced is the transom board and filled in holes where someone had drilled several throughout the sides and top rails.

Did Starcraft manufacturer aluminum boats with 3 transom knees? I know my pictures don't show the transom very well, but I have 3 knees attached to the transom. As old as this boat is it's a solid little vessel. No loose or missing rivets and no welds. The only thing I've replaced is the transom board and filled in holes where someone had drilled several throughout the sides and top rails.
They did indeed. I suspect the quantity is directly related to hp capacity.
I've had three StarCraft -one badged as a Sea King. They included a 14ft that was rated 15hp that had one knee brace, a 14ft that had three knees and rated at 40hp, and a larger 17ft that also had three but larger in scale.
The double rolled spine and solid sides is what sets them apart. (I've seen them with and without the circular relief hole in the side panel like yours, too.)
Below is a set from the 17footer. It's a distinctive construction and, in my experience, I've not seen another manufacturer pick up on it, but I'm better versed in the 50s stuff. By 1970, anything could have been going on. lol
1697856971803.png

Last edited:
Does anyone have any information about who manufactured boats for Jcpenneys in the late 60s early 70s?
I agree with the StarCraft bet! Here’s pics of my 12’ StarCraft Seafarer stern with and without the transom wood. It’s a single brace, but it’s an exact match - ribs and hole.
IMG_5270.jpegIMG_6602.jpeg

Last edited: