1970 tomboy Jon boat, outboard question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kroy123

Reaction score
was gifted a fiberglass jon boat a few years ago and it’s from the 1970’s so I’m not entirely sure the maximum hp rating is reflective of todays outboards since they are a little more powerful in todays times. It had a 9.9 on it but my buddy is giving me a 15 hp to put on it. the boats maximum hp rating is 35 hp. Will the 15 hp get it going decently quick? I’m not trying to go blazing speed but I would like it to at least go 13-15 mph. What are y’all’s thoughts?

As long as the boat hull is in good shape and not extremely heavy you should be able to move right along...make sure the motor is running properly first... Hull shape xan also play a part, without pics we can only guess...

A 15hp will be more than enough to do those speeds. You will be pleasantly surprised

[

Edit
Just for some peace of mind here is my cousin running his 14' Alumacraft with a 35hp on the back. This was just a part throttle cruise. Runs great with only one person on board as well.

Last edited:
was gifted a fiberglass jon boat a few years ago and it’s from the 1970’s so I’m not entirely sure the maximum hp rating is reflective of todays outboards since they are a little more powerful in todays times. It had a 9.9 on it but my buddy is giving me a 15 hp to put on it. the boats maximum hp rating is 35 hp. Will the 15 hp get it going decently quick? I’m not trying to go blazing speed but I would like it to at least go 13-15 mph. What are y’all’s thoughts?
You don't state the length or weight of the boat, if the hull holds water or not. IMO a runabout 16' or less will get up on plane and run nicely with that power provided you don't load the boat down with people and gear.