1972 Johnson 25 horse...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrispbrown27

Reaction score
The guy I bought the boat off of said he had the clutch dog on the motor last year. From time to time, when running wide open mostly or maybe thats just when it is most obvious, it will kick out of gear. When it has happened I immediately idle down and kick it into neutral and then back into forward and all is well with the world again. This has happened once each time I have taken it out, which is not as much as I would like to have taken it out. Should the clutch dog be going out this quickly? Am I looking at another issue or is something else going to fail that is causing this issue? The motor runs great other than this....much better than I expected out of a '72. Also, this motor seems to have a lot more power than my Grandpa's 90's model evinrude 30 horse did, am I imagining this or were the older motors geared better?
Chris

Check your linkages first to make sure everything is ok . Even though a new clutch dog was installed, the forward gear might have been worn as well and should have been replaced too. A new clutch engaging a worn fwd gear is only going to last so long.

chrispbrown27 said:
The guy I bought the boat off of said he had the clutch dog on the motor last year. From time to time, when running wide open mostly or maybe thats just when it is most obvious, it will kick out of gear. When it has happened I immediately idle down and kick it into neutral and then back into forward and all is well with the world again. This has happened once each time I have taken it out, which is not as much as I would like to have taken it out. Should the clutch dog be going out this quickly? Am I looking at another issue or is something else going to fail that is causing this issue? The motor runs great other than this....much better than I expected out of a '72. Also, this motor seems to have a lot more power than my Grandpa's 90's model evinrude 30 horse did, am I imagining this or were the older motors geared better?
Chris

if it has a new dog you wanna check the cradle and yoke. but before that make sure your shifter is adjusted properly so the roller sits in the detents all the way.

Latest posts