Honda BF25 Reverse Shift Issue

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AidanCorrigan

Reaction score
Hi All,

Yesterday I have replaced the Remote Steering on my 25hp Honda with a Tiller Handle. Everything had gone smoothly, learning as I went with the Throttle and Shifting Cables.

I had the gear in Neutral position through out setup and followed the instructions step by step. I had everything shifting well once it was installed, but then a bit later it would not go into reverse. I tried making the cable longer and shorter with the Nut, would still come across this shifting issue. If I turn the Prop while moving from Neutral to Reverse it will engage. But after trying it at a later time it won't go into reverse again.

I did bump into the prop when it was in reverse after first installation and the prop moved 1 "Click" noise. Now I didn't think much of this small turn but starting to think this may have something do with it. The Motor is in really good condition and don't believe this is a result of "Wear and Tear".

If anyone has come across this issue before or have suggestions I am open to them.

I know I'm on very thin ice responding because I admittedly lack the experience and qualifications. But here goes -- if it was in neutral, then how would slightly moving the prop have any impact? I have a Honda BF50. When it is in neutral, the prop spins freely. No clicking noise. I realize I have a different motor, but it makes me wonder. If you heard a click noise, was it really in neutral?

Sorry, just questions (probably bad ones). No helpful answers.

I know I'm on very thin ice responding because I admittedly lack the experience and qualifications. But here goes -- if it was in neutral, then how would slightly moving the prop have any impact? I have a Honda BF50. When it is in neutral, the prop spins freely. No clicking noise. I realize I have a different motor, but it makes me wonder. If you heard a click noise, was it really in neutral?

Sorry, just questions (probably bad ones). No helpful answers.
Mine is the same, all outboards are. It was in Reverse when I bumped into it!

I think what you are describing (needing to rotate the prop for reverse to engage) is totally normal. There are only a few teeth on the clutch dog and the reverse gear, so they will only enmesh every 90*. When the engine is running it is not an issue, both forward and reverse gears are coupled to the crankshaft and always rotating.

It will always shift into forward regardless of gear position, because the clutch dog is spring assisted and applied in the forward direction. Even if the gear teeth are not lined up, the spring will hold tension against the gear until they do. That spring, along with ramps cut into the forward side of the clutch dog, create an overrunning clutch in forward gear (allows the prop to free wheel if the throttle is abruptly cut off or the engine stalls to prevent swamping), instead of a direct linkage like reverse.

Last edited:
Have a look at the nut on the shaft going down the back to the gear box. Maybe that nut is out of adjustment or loose. It could be all the way to one end of the center adjustment allowing forward and N but not R.

Latest posts