1972 Mercury 20/HP Pull-start issues

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fudoshin

Reaction score
I have a 1972 Mercury 20/HP tiller, I inherited it from my grandfather and it sat for the last two summers, at first it wouldn't start up, with some work, replacing a few wires I got it started and took it out on the lake yesterday. Once she is started it runs like a top, flys across the water, but it takes five minutes of pulling the cord to get it started. Not to mention the pull cord doesn't go all the way back in each time. Any suggestion on what I can do to not have a sore arm the next day after each use?

Fudoshin said:
Any suggestion on what I can do to not have a sore arm the next day after each use?

Do a "Tune Up". Clean carb, adjust mixture, adjust timing, link & Sync, etc.

In addition to what is mentioned above, you need to learn the secret to your motor. It seems like every motor has it's own secret to what makes it start the best. My 20 horse Merc wants the choke on for one 75% pull. After that partial power pull with choke on, I turn the choke off and give it one good pull and it will start up and run great with that second pull. After the initial start, I never have to use the choke the rest of the day and it will start with a 1/2 pull every time.

sounds good guys I'll get to that this sunday, yeah once it's running it hauls a** even with my mods done to the 12' mirrocraft, it was topping out at 21 knots, but if it's been off for a couple of hours its another 5min + ordeal to get it started again.

Latest posts