1973 PolarKraft 1440 MV - The Birth of Ictalurus

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Troutman3000 said:
Ictalurus said:
Loggerhead Mike said:
can you pronounce that in dummy terms for me

I'm not quite sure how to type out the pronounciation, but, Ictalurus is a genus of catfishes (order Siluriformes) of the family Ictaluridae. It includes the well-known channel catfish (Ictalurus punctatus) and blue catfish (Ictalurus furcatus).

I was going to name the boat the "Catfish", but being a biologist, everyone at work thought that I should go with the scientific name.

ick tal oo russ

The transom is now complete, boy is that fun wedging in in and out of there to make sure it fits. Also, picked up a gallon of Minwax Helmsman Spar Urathane to protect the wood decks. Tonight, the back deck is on the agenda, will post pics later.

It has been a busy week on the boat. All woodwork has been completed and now in the finishing stage. The front seat support is complete, decided to leave it open through the bottom rather than box it in, should leave room to attach a paddle to the seat.

Up next:

Seal all wood with spar urathane.
Paint the inside.
Run electric lines to the front and back.
Carpet decking.

Attachments

• 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 4,258
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 4,258
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 4,258
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 4,258
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 4,258
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 4,258
Just a tip on the vents in the back deck, they are from Lowe's, extremely heavy duty (designed to be walked on) and only cost about $1.50 each. The marine vents at BPS are $7.00 to $10.00 depending on size, and only came in white. Thought it was a find.

Ictalurus said:
Just a tip on the vents in the back deck, they are from Lowe's, extremely heavy duty (designed to be walked on) and only cost about $1.50 each. The marine vents at BPS are $7.00 to $10.00 depending on size, and only came in white. Thought it was a find.

Thanks.. :wink: And the boat is coming along nice.

biggun1979 said:
what part of tennesse are you in

I'm just outside of Memphis. Most frequent fishing trips are to Herb Parsons, Glenn Springs and the Hatchie River. Now with the bigger boat it would be nice to fill a cooler with some slabs up at Reelfoot and also Lake Sardis and Lake Enid just across the border in MS.

Made a little progress the last few days, basically just making sure that there is nothing left to cut and everything is ready for the final few coats of urathane. Put it together to make sure it all fit before carpeting the decks. Here are the most recent pictures.

Attachments

• 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    143.7 KB · Views: 2,122
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    135.3 KB · Views: 2,122
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    144.4 KB · Views: 2,122
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    157.5 KB · Views: 2,122
Troutman3000 said:
The carpet adds about 1/8th of an inch to the edge just so you know.

Thanks troutmann, that should just about seal it up nice. There are a few places where an extra 1/4" would be nice though.

It was a very productive weekend, the boat is now complete :D I'm very pleased with the final result, plenty of storage and open space. Check it out.

Attachments

• 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    101.9 KB · Views: 1,694
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    103.7 KB · Views: 1,694
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    115.8 KB · Views: 1,694
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    101.2 KB · Views: 1,694
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 1,694
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    123 KB · Views: 1,694
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 1,694
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    109.5 KB · Views: 1,694
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    113 KB · Views: 1,694
Very nice.

Is the small hatch in the floor at the bow for the foot pedal?

Thank you all for your kind comments and ideas throughout the project.

Brine said:
Is the small hatch in the floor at the bow for the foot pedal?

No, just a little place for wallets, keys, etc...

Latest posts