1975 25hp Johnson 25R75B jumping out of gear.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok I got out to look at the motor this morning.

When I first looked at the shift lever, all i could see was a grease fitting and a lot of grease! After some cleaning and investigating, sure enough, there WAS a screw underneath all that grease. I'm pretty sure all that was holding that screw in was the grease because it was loose!

I loosened up the other screw, did a little adjustment and I'm pretty sure that was the fix. Now I can easily shift through all the gears and it properly engages and dis-engages.

I'm waiting on the o-ring for the prop shaft to come in so I can put some oil back in the gear case and take it out to the lake.

Hope you got it fixed! I have the same motor doing much the same thing. I think its either a worn clutch dog or perhaps a spun prop hub. I've had bad luck with trying to find a decent used lower unit. I've bought 3 on eBay and all 3 of them had issues that weren't disclosed in the item description. Just bought a new prop and am in the process of getting to the bottom of this problem. You might want to consider a new prop if you continue to have problems. I figured I can't go wrong with having a spare prop, so it was worth it to me just to buy one whether that fixes it or not.

Ok so I took the boat out to the lake today. I think I'm getting closer to getting it fixed.

I took off and it still popped out of gear, but I reached back and held onto the shift lever and ran all the way across the lake without it popping out of gear. But as soon as I let go of the handle, it pops out.

So do you guys think it needs a tad more adjustment?

I talked to an outboard mechanic today and he said to replace the clutch dog and the forward gear. He said if you can keep pressure on the lever and it stays in gear then the dog and gear is the culprit.

BTW I GPSed myself at 24mph with throttle left! I bet I can get close to thirty.

baseball_guy_99 said:
I talked to an outboard mechanic today and he said to replace the clutch dog and the forward gear. He said if you can keep pressure on the lever and it stays in gear then the dog and gear is the culprit.

Yup.. not enough adjustments in the world will fix a worn part..

Well I pulled the trigger on a new clutch dog and new forward gear...$170 later I hope that fixes it.

Parts are supposed to come in this weekend. Don't know I'll get to test them out because I start my new job Monday.

Pappy, I don't think I did.

I put the lever to forward position, loosened the 2 bolts, pulled out a little on the lever and pushed it a little towards neutral. I then tightened the bolts back down. I was turning the prop back and forth but I felt no difference.

I also having trouble finding a part on the parts schematic. If anyone wants to pm me their number or email addy I can send a pic of the piece.

If you didn't feel the additional drag of the clutch dog bottoming out then you did not adjust it far enough. "Over" adjust it if you need to in order to feel what I am talking about or when it is in gear pull the shift handle even farther in order to feel it. You will get that feel I was talking about and then you can make a proper adjustment.

The new clutch dog and forward hear came in on Saturday. I've been too busy with work and turkey hunting that I have not had a chance to put them in yet. Hopefully I'll be able to get them in this weekend and give the boat a test run some time next week.

Well i got around to tearing the gear case apart again to replace the forward gear and clutch dog. I started to put everything back together and realized I have lost the little pin that goes into the front of the gear that goes down into the gear case head assembly so I had to order a new one. Hopefully it will come in on Thursday so I can put it back together and give the motor a try.

Here is a picture of the new clutch dog next to the old one...new one on the left, old one on the right
photo(62).JPG

Here is one of the forward gears...old one on the left and new one on the right
photo(63).JPG

Forward running gear looks to be ok from the angle of the picture.. that new clutch dog will remedy your problem.

Nope I'm still waiting on that little pin to come in.

Canoe man, the edges are kind of chewed up on the forward gear so I figured I might as well replace it.

baseball_guy_99 said:
Canoe man, the edges are kind of chewed up on the forward gear so I figured I might as well replace it.

Yea.. i saw that after i posted, the part where the dog engages is a bit worn also. Might as well start new.

stupid one little part keeps you off the water man..

Ok i got that little pin in the mail this afternoon. I put the lower unit all back together.

Pappy I still am unsure of how you are talking about adjusting the shift linkage. So what I figured out was that if I lined up the clutch dog and the rear gear lobes, loosened the two screws, and applied slight pressure to the shift lever towards reverse, that the clutch dog felt to be more snug/tight against the front gear. Is this what you were talking about Pappy?

I took a short video of my "wiggling" the shift lever. It seems to me that there is some excessive play in it but wanted an expert opinion.

https://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y32/d_rednour05/?action=view&current=IMG_0432.mp4

Will hopefully be able to get the boat out next Thursday (new job has been keeping me really busy)

So far I'm still a go to head out Thursday to test the motor. As long as the weather holds out.

What happened to Pappy? Haven't seen ya post in a few days :)

Latest posts