1976 Envinrude 9.9HP Question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryA

Reaction score
Is there a tension adjustment on a 1976 Evinrude 9.9HP outboard that will ease up on the tension on the handle for steering? I only ask because my motor turns smooth but feels like it takes more push and pull to turn than it should. If you want to just nudge a bit it's like you have to bump it to turn and it wants to just hold that position. It's like the side tension adjustment on a trolling motor that is set a bit too tight.
Does this make sense? I see a small screw on the side in the area of the bearing but didn't want to mess with it because I don't know what it's for.
Thanks,
Larry

There is a tension adjustment screw on the left side of the swivel bracket. It is a phillips head screw that has a spring inside. There is also a zerk grease fitting on the bracket below the adjustment screw to lubricate the swivel assembly. I would grease it and then adjust tension on the swivel. Ideally the proper tension is when you can release the tiller handle and it does not move without your input, but it is more of your preference.

Thanks. I thought that is what the screw was for but didn't want to mess with it before I knew.
I also found a web site with great info on old Evinrude and Johnson motors of 9.9 & 15 HP.
Don't know if I can post a link without authors permissioin or theis forums ok.