1976 Evinrude 25 hp woes

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quackrstackr said:
Ruh roh..... :shock:
Lol...has anyone had their gears machined back square. I have one guy telling me that he can machine the surfaces back square and it will work fine. If this is the case, I worked in a machine shop for 13 years and I still know a couple guys that will help out.... :wink:

I never machined them but I have welded them to get rid of the rounded corners & it worked fine.
The only thing I would be concerned with is the extra clearence you will have after it is machined.

I had the same problem with mine. what is happening is the clutch dog to fwd gear matting surfaces have gotten rounded off. it's jumping in and out of gear. I did a few mods and fixed mine without replacing the gears.

Macgyver said:
I had the same problem with mine. what is happening is the clutch dog to fwd gear matting surfaces have gotten rounded off. it's jumping in and out of gear. I did a few mods and fixed mine without replacing the gears.

Mind asking me what mods you did to fix this? I have the same motor and same issue?

Have you checked out the power packs....coils? Same problem on a 78 Evenrude 25. New coil packs fixed the problem. Marine dealer repair man said that I was luck to get 30 plus years out of the junk originals.