1982 Evinrude 25hp hard starting

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aaron Lariscy

Reaction score
Hey guys I am trying to get my rig tuned up for the fishing season and am having issues with my rude. It is a E25RCNB pull start and cold it starts good idles and runs great going down the river at WOT. We ran it up on a sandbar and sat for 10-15 mins and then jumped back in and I imagine I had to pull it 30+ times before it would start. I have had this issue last year as well and this is my last go at it if I can't get it to start right it's got to go or I am going to need rotator cuff surgery before the end of the season...

FWIW it kinda reminds me of a flooded engine the way it acts but I can't imagine how it could have flooded just sitting there.

You could very well have a leaky float needle causing it to flood after being run. A complete carb rebuild may be in order if it hasn't been done in a lot of years. And are you sure the motor is not overheating?

I'd rebuild the carbs, and replace the spark plugs first. Then, if that doesnt work, I'd look at the ignition system to see if it was firing properly after it warmed up.

From your description, it sounds like it starts real easy when it's cold and runs great with minimal if any warmup. That would lead me to think it might be running a little rich. That could make it hard to start when warm. If the above suggestions do not solve your problem you might want to check this.

JMichael said:
From your description, it sounds like it starts real easy when it's cold and runs great with minimal if any warmup. That would lead me to think it might be running a little rich. That could make it hard to start when warm. If the above suggestions do not solve your problem you might want to check this.

I think you hit the nail on the head it was turned out 3 full turns. Seems to do much better now in the barrel but the real test will be the river.

Latest posts