1984 Tracker 14' mod

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rpena said:
I have been checking on several types of paints and there are so many out there that it's been hard to decide which type. I called this placed that sells the interlux paint, but it was about $64.00 a quart and the primer for this paint was $38.00 and they recommended to two coats of two diffrent primers also about $38.00. They also had just the basic colors I was looking for Charcoal gray they suggested mixing white & Black paint, mixture ratio of 3 white to 1 black. Then they have the Ablative & hard paint. But I have heard of many using the Self etching primer and the rustoleom pants. What ever you decide woulds like to know how it turns out for you. I'll post some pics later.

To be honest with you, thats just to expensive for me. Yes I want the paint to look nice and last but at the same time realize its GOING to get dinged up in river. I'll let you know what we decide to go with, but it will be about a week before I get another opportunity to work on the boat. Heres a link that dyeguy 1212 sent me https://www.pettitpaint.com/catalog_browse.asp?ictNbr=45 check it out if you have a chance. Theye prices seem a bit more reasonable, but Im not sure if they ship it you. The nearest local retailor they had near me was alomost 2 hrs away and with gas at $4 a gallon and a truck that gets 10-12 miles a gallon I wont be making that trip.

looks good! Looks pretty smooth. I ordered some grey steelflex today after seeing your pics, hopefully it will get here soon would like to work on it this weekend. I have a question, did you apply the steelflex right over the bare aluminum or did you have to spray it with the self etching primer first?

rpena said:
looks good! Looks pretty smooth. I ordered some grey steelflex today after seeing your pics, hopefully it will get here soon would like to work on it this weekend. I have a question, did you apply the steelflex right over the bare aluminum or did you have to spray it with the self etching primer first?

I applied it right over the bare metal. everything I had read in the steel flex forum did not require that it be primed. Good luck

Finally got some paint ordered and it arrived today. I decided to go with the parkers duck boat paint in the sand tan. Got it off of Cabelas website for $15 a quart. The main reason for choosing this paint is that Parker claims this paint will not have gloss or shine to it which is really what I was looking for in a paint. Hope to have it painted by the midldle of next week.

Appreciate that. I have finally painted that boat. I will post some pictures later because I forgot my camera the day it got painted.

wow i'm amazed at how well you got it down to the bare metal. Alot of time and elbow grease in this one. I can't wait to get mine done! great job..

Well,, finally got the first coat of paint on the boat. Havent had the time to work on this project as much as I had hoped. Been slammed at work the past month and a half. At this rate Im just hoping to get it out on the water before before summer is over. Also got the trolling motor mount made and riveted to the bow, and now I just need to get the second coat of paint on. Went with parker duck boat paint in the sand color, hopefully it look alright with grey steel flex bottom.

Attachments

• 59.JPG
    59.JPG
    654.7 KB · Views: 1,641
  • 60.JPG
    60.JPG
    439.2 KB · Views: 1,641
  • 61.JPG
    61.JPG
    397.5 KB · Views: 1,641
  • 62.JPG
    62.JPG
    514.2 KB · Views: 1,641
  • 64.JPG
    64.JPG
    543.8 KB · Views: 1,641
Looks good. Should be baked on with the heat we've had. :x

Hey man awesome build one question for ya how did you apply your steelflex? yours looks amazing! i applied mine to the same portions as you and it looks like complete garbage lol the guy at fasco told me just to pour it on and spread it out and then run a roller over it which was a horrible mistake...

Latest posts