1985 force 50hp ignition coil

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

river warrior

Reaction score
I have a 1985 force 50hp model# 507x5a. It recently craped out on me. One of the ignition coils cracked. I have tested it with a voltage meter and ohms are way off compared to the coil that isnt cracked. Definitely a bad coil. I have found a new coil on marineengins.com for $175. I have been searching for a cheaper one or a suitable sub. Has anyone dealt with this? Also does anyone know what might cause a coil to crack? You dont need to bash the force motor I already know its s##t I didnt pay anything for it. im just looking for possible symptoms. I dont want to replace it just to have the new one crack.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-09-09-14-25-06-1.png
    Screenshot_2015-09-09-14-25-06-1.png
    302.8 KB · Views: 730
  • Screenshot_2015-09-09-14-22-27-1.png
    Screenshot_2015-09-09-14-22-27-1.png
    325.5 KB · Views: 730
Age and vibration are the #1 causes for a cracked coil. The material they are made from gets brittle over time. The $175 for a new one is probably about right . the reason they are so expensive is that the force parts catalog changed hands many times over the years between Chysler , Force and Mercury depending on who bought the company at the time. Parts are getting harder to find since the motors are no longer made and most old force motors were in the garbage years ago. and for yours being 30 years old its going to be real tough to find used parts so a premium is paid for new parts that just don't sell too often anymore.

I went ahead and ordered the coil. i found one on amazon.com for $130 some company out of NY beastmarine.com is selling it. still cheaper than buying a new motor.