1987 Lowe 16 foot Pro-Angler Resto-Mod

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

belliott

Reaction score
Hey guys I have been lurking the site for quite sometime and have gained tons of valuble information. I registered last night and decided for better or worse I would share my boat restoration with others.

Last June I found my boat on craigslist and traded a matco toolbox for it. It was a great deal for me because I only had 700 dollars in the box. The boat is a 1987 Lowe Pro-Angler with a 60 hp Mercury. After I replaced the primer bulb and fixed the airleak the boat ran pretty well. The electrical system is a mess and will be upgraded and replaced. I have some carb problems right now. I took my wife out earlier this this and the boat would not start at the ramp. I decided we would just troll around the marina and I would look at it when we got home. Then the trolling motor broke. The trolling motor was the original Evinrude that came on the boat. It is gone now.

After I got the boat home I found the float was sticking causing fuel to pour out of the front the lower carb. I picked up a rebuild kit and rebuilt the carb. I adjusted the float according to the shop manual, apparently my 11/16 is not the same as Mercurys. After adjusting the float 2 more times I finally got it right. I put it in the water and it idled better than ever, but she lacks top end and won't plane out. Adjusting the carb has not helped so I believe I'm going to have to adjust the float to run a hair richer.

It got dark on me before I could take any pics tonight. I will take some in the afternoon and get them posted. In the next two weeks I will be replacing the upper deck were the trolling motor mounts. I also plan to extend the front deck back to the console to add storage compartments. I also plan on moving the livewell. The livewell is currently located under the seats. Originally I had no intention of changing the located. I'm a fairly big guy and when the well is full of water, if I rock the boat water seeps out of the top of the livewell. I am going to seal that area off and fabricate a larger one with a bait well and locate it in the center of the boat.

I also plan on adding lights, new carpet, seats and plan to paint the boat. I will also have the trailer sand blasted and painted later this year.

I look forward to hearing from all of you. Thanks

Welcome aboard...what about pictures? I have a 16' 78 model LoweLine Hustler, I wonder is they look anything alike?

Flintcreek

Is the float plastic or did Mercury still use the old hard foam floats in '86? If it's solid foam and not hollow plastic then replace the float but be aware that the float height will change and the numbers in the manual will no longer be valid with the new plastic float because of a difference in buoyancy of the two materials. The new float should have a piece of paper telling you what the new float height and I recommend you write those new numbers in your manual for future reference if you have to go that route. Those old solid foam floats get fuel logged (water logged) and even though they look OK they need replacement. They also get hard and brittle and little pieces can flake off and get still in your idle jet(s) and passages causing all kinds of grief

I helped fix 2 late 70's Mercs last summer where the guys rebuilt the carbs and replaced the floats but adjusted them to the old height and they both ran like crap, one would start and die, the other had no top end like yours. After setting the float heights to the new proper height both motor ran flawlessly the rest of the summer.

It's also possible you have a bad ignition coil and it's breaking down under load. The best way to test ignition coils is with a spark gap tester like this https://www.autozone.com/autozone/c...le+ignition+spark+tester&brandName=Great+Neck

Don't get the light bulb type testers, they are worthless, make sure it has an adjustable gap. Set the gap for 5/8" and a good coil should be able to easily jump that gap with a bright spark when you pull the motor over. If not the coil is getting weak and needs to be replaced. You can also visually inspect the coils but you need to take them off and remove the rubber boot (if used) so you can see all of it. Look for any hairline cracks in the casing, this is a sign the windings have overheated and swollen up from the wire insulation overheating and/or burning off and the pressure caused the case to crack. Nearly every weak or failed coil will have those cracks and even though they seem minute they are a key sign of an overheated coil. Even a weak coil can jump the puny little gap across a spark plug giving you the false impression you have a good spark when the coil wouldn't be able to jump that 5/8" gap on the tester. Every boat owner should have a spark gap tester stored with their spare plugs onboard their boat.

Thanks alot Longjohn,

I think your probably right about the float. I was going to get one when I picked up my carb kit, but the dealer did not have one in stock. If I remember correctly the floats are getting hard to find. The float I have is hard and at first glance looks like plastic, but if you look close it is most likely foam. I swing by the dealer in the morning and see if I can get a couple of floats on the way. I will also take a look at the coil. I'll pull the cover in the afternoon an dtry to take some pics.

I got some pics as promised =D>

Attachments

• boat side.jpg
    boat side.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 2,403
  • sad storage space.jpg
    sad storage space.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 2,403
  • front deck.jpg
    front deck.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 2,403
  • boat livewell.jpg
    boat livewell.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 2,403
  • rear deck.jpg
    rear deck.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 2,403
Great deal for 700 dollars worth of tools.. congrats and good luck im working on a tracker that looks similar in layout im interested to see what your doing

I got a little work done tonight, I had to babysit so I did not get as much done as I hoped. I got the front decks removed and new plywood cut for those. I also found that that my navigation lights and some other crap was spliced into the trolling motor harness. If the weather holds tomarrow I plan on carpeting the front deck, running new wires and mounting the trolling motor.

More Pics...

Attachments

• front deck removed.jpg
    front deck removed.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 2,325
  • trolling motor harness.jpg
    trolling motor harness.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 2,325
  • disk for aluminum.jpg
    disk for aluminum.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 2,325
I have had very little time to work on the boat this week. I did manage to get a little done today. I finished trimming the decks and weather treated them. I got the both the upper and casting decks carpeted and managed to cut a platform for the trolling motor and pull some wires. I'm going to be adding LED lights to the deck. I ahve a fishing trip this weekend, so I will not be starting the deck extension till late this weekend. Next I'll finish the electrical in the front and secure the decks and trolling motor.

Attachments

• front deck carpet.jpg
    front deck carpet.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 2,238

Latest posts