1989 johnson 15hp

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swampfox88

Reaction score
I am looking at getting a motor for my 1436 boat , I have no knowledge of outboard motors.

If I get a 1989 Johnson 15hp should I be prepared to fix it a lot, or could this motor still be pretty reliable after 24 years.

I don't want to get stuck in a money pit just wondering if yall think I should be more patient. Or if it runs good go for it.

The asking price on motor is $600 is this a fair value, owner says runs great and very seldom used (ofcourse )

Thanks, Could be a stupid question with to many variables, but any suggestions are appreciated.johnson.jpg

I have an 88 johnson 15hp, I bought it off a guy who had it sitting outside for 4 years straight through winters and he never winterized it. I had the carb cleaned up and it's treated me well. I'm having some very minor issues with the little things but i'm very happy with it.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=315618#p315618 said:
O26A » 46 minutes ago[/url]"]I have an 88 johnson 15hp, I bought it off a guy who had it sitting outside for 4 years straight through winters and he never winterized it. I had the carb cleaned up and it's treated me well. I'm having some very minor issues with the little things but i'm very happy with it.

Ok cool thanks for the info. How much did you pay and how much did it cost to get tuned up just trying to get some rough numbers incase it needs a tune up.

$600 for that motor is kinda steep since its in mediocre cosmetic condition. Been sitting on a boat out in the water for years so its sun faded and the lower unit is probably permanently stained.
Make sure it has good compression (approx 100 psi per cylinder) and check the oil in the lower unit and make sure its not milky. If it starts easy and runs good then that motor is probably worth $400-$500 in your area.

About the only tune up a mechanic can do on that motor is to change the plugs, rebuild the carb, and change the impeller (both of which are easy to do especially if you watch some of the videos on youtube). If you have a mechanic do it then expect to shell out $200 or so.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=315638#p315638 said:
Whoopbass » 1 minute ago[/url]"]$600 for that motor is kinda steep since its in mediocre cosmetic condition. Been sitting on a boat out in the water for years so its sun faded and the lower unit is probably permanently stained.
Make sure it has good compression (approx 100 psi per cylinder) and check the oil in the lower unit and make sure its not milky. If it starts easy and runs good then that motor is probably worth $400-$500 in your area.

About the only tune up a mechanic can do on that motor is to change the plugs, rebuild the carb, and change the impeller (both of which are easy to do especially if you watch some of the videos on youtube). If you have a mechanic do it then expect to shell out $200 or so.

Thanks for the info, I guess I need to invest in a compression tester. if that's the only tune up they do i think i can handle that.

Im looking to barter with owner, so we will see how it goes thanks for the insight.

Change of plan I have another offer for an early 80s Johnson 20hp motor. I was wondering when I check the compression, what numbers should I be looking for?johnson2.jpg

That 20hp looks to be around about a 1971 model. It has points ignition instead of a power pack which makes it lesser in value. Some guys like the points set up better but you will have to remove the fly wheel in order to get to the points for tune-up/replacement purposes.
I never had a 20hp motor but my 25hp OMC motors always had at least 110 psi per cylinder. I'm not sure on the older 20hp motors but late 70's and later 20hp motors can be upgraded to up to a 35hp motor if you can get a hold of the parts.

The 20hp looks clean and I would probably pick it over the 15hp motor. The biggest difference is if anything catastrophic happened to either motor you could part the 15hp motor out on ebay and probably make at least $300 back. The 20hp not nearly as much.
What's he asking for the 20? Even though it looks clean its probably only worth $400 max unless outboards in your area are extremely expensive.

Last year I bought a 97, 15 HP Johnson off from a guy for 600.00. This was was used on a larger boat as a backup motor and did not have many hrs on it and looked almost like new. I think the price will depend a lot on the area where you live at. On the 15 you have a pic of in mt area it would be 400.00 and 500.00 max

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=315690#p315690 said:
sawmill » 25 minutes ago[/url]"]Last year I bought a 97, 15 HP Johnson off from a guy for 600.00. This was was used on a larger boat as a backup motor and did not have many hrs on it and looked almost like new. I think the price will depend a lot on the area where you live at. On the 15 you have a pic of in mt area it would be 400.00 and 500.00 max

Yeah........and the $400-$500 max quote is being generous. I personally wouldn't give more then $300 for it but I know in some areas in the country that motor will bring $400+. I picked up a fairly decent looking Evinrude 15hp with a new tank and fuel line assembly for $220 the other day. I found it at an estate sale. Instead of looking in the boat section on Craigslist I search the garage sale section. I find about 1-2 outboards a month at garage sales and sometimes they don't know what they have and they practically give them away. If you search the garage sale section put in "outboard" and "boat" as your search terms. A lot of people in their ad say they have a boat motor for sale instead of outboard. Other people look for outboards at yard sales as well so show up a tad early.
Oh yeah, that 15hp looks more like a 1982 model but its hard to tell since its so faded. Tell the Sellers you want the model # and then run it on the internet so you can get the right year.

Thanks for the help guys the 20hp better for me because my transom only accommodates motors with the 2 top clamps bc of the way my boat was made. Also the 20hp is owned by a outboard mechanic that said he got it on trade in and her serviced it , he values the motor at 400 I'm surrounded by water where I live Charleston sc.

He also said we can test in a pond and he will show me a compression test so I feel a little safer, but I do agree the motor looks 70s , he said he thought early 80s but woukd have to look at the title.

I would be trading him a shotgun most likely.

The 20hp is early 70's for sure. In 1977 Johnson changed the paint scheme to all while with red and green striping on the cowl. As long as everything checks out and you run it often, the motor should last for years to come.

+1 that 20 hp is a great motor. i have owned many omc's 18, 20, and 25 hp motors that are points motors. only issue is the lower units tend to leak due to age. really easy to reseal the lower unit tho with some basic tools. check the lower unit oil. remove the lower screw, you just want to see the oil or water, not empty the lower unit.

personally any omc is a good motor that is well kept. that motor should last your lifetime before having any troubles. change the impeller every year or so and your good to go.

400 is a good price. i would have asked about 600 or 700 if it had electric start.

dino

Well time for someone to throw a monkey wrench in here.... :) .......... If it were me I'd go for the 15. First off, newer electronic components, secondly the power to weight ratio would be greater with the 15, third I think the throttle is a cable instead of a shaft and gears. Fourth, the 15 can be hooked up to a hose and not have to be in a barrel to run at home, Sixth, wellll...... its just my 2 cents
I had a 72 18 hp rude and I prefer the '78 15hp

But i'd do a compression check on both first off.

The guy with the 15hp backed out of deal, Im still working with the guy with the 20hp but im still open to offers maybe something else will pop up better.

Lots if mixed opinions on this decision, good thing is I don't have to invest to much. What year did they switch over from points motors to newer style.

I was hoping the Johnson motor guy(johny25) on this forum would have some input as well, he has like 7 Johnson motors from all years.

Latest posts