2-stroke/4-stroke

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Guys,

Oil is such a personal thing also. There are lots of good oils out there today.

I used to be a dealer for Amsoil and I like their 4-stroke oil. Here is good oil also for 4-strokes. Click on the viscosity you need and check out the specs.

https://www.redlineoil.com/Products.aspx?pcid=21

Buy a good quality oil that is in your area and you will be fine. Remember the manufactures cannot tell you that you can only run their oil. It is against the law as stated in the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act.

Henry

boater1234 said:
Very good stuff hwew,the only bad thing is i sold my yamaha today for a insane price i could not pass up as i paid $800 for it and sold it today for $1600 how could i not sell it for double what i paid.It was a 1995 in pristine condition only had 20hrs on it but my heart is set on the suzuki 15.Also when i get the 15hp suzukii know all the maintenance will be done by me and i always keep up with my motors as it will look as close to new as u can get 8yrs from now as evertime i come in from the saltwater i flush it i also put a good film of lubricant on it everytime as u can never find a drop of salt on my motor.I also put a good coat of marine wax for extra protection.

I change the plugs every yr,do the impeller once every 2yrs,the timing belt must be checked every 3yrs to see if it needs replacement,and i will change the oil every 50hrs even know they say 100hrs.I only use sythetic on everything i use,i will use royal purple breakin oil for the breakin then royal purple 10w 30 for everyday use and i use royal purple lower unit oil also.IMO i think royal purple has the best all around products for marine but like i said it is just a opinion.Well hope to hear back from your tach experience on your yamaha 15 good luck.

Hi Boater 1234,

You did good selling your Yamaha 15 2-stroke. Keep us informed on the Suzuki. I personaly like to know how it works out for you.
About the tach. I will post some pics when I get some batteries. It can mount on most small outboards the way I am doing it.

Henry

boater1234 said:
Here is a trick i learned from a guy at a marina that i'm sure some people know already and it will save u tons of oil from coming out of the filter all over the engine.Poke a small hole in the top of the oil filter and get a small plastic bowl or something similar as small as possibe and turn the oil filter just enough to were the oil starts draining into the bowl and drain as much as possible before u take the filter all the way off.Then shove a rag under the filter to soak any small amouts of remaining oil left in the filter because u can't get it all but most of it will come out when u drain it and u will have almost no oil that gets in the motor,maybe a few drops but it is better then taking the filter off and oil will spill everywere no matter what u do.I just wanted to share this handy tip as i have learned it saves a huge mess.

That is a good tip thanks for sharing it.

I may have missed this discussed in this thread, but, talking valves...what type of valves do most 4 stroke boat motors employ? On a 12,000 rpm motorcycle engine with shim-over-bucket or shim-under-bucket valves, neglecting checking/shimming them on a regular basis and missing the valves tightening up too much results in big, big, expensive fun. Hydraulic valves such as in the 1200 Sportster engines Buell tuned are just about maintenance free.

hwew said:
Well I'll stick with my 2009 Yamaha 15hp 2-stroke that I just purchased new in the box this month as long as I can. It is only 79 pounds, fuel consumption is not bad, designed to run on E-10 gas, runs smooth above idle, pulls good up to red line, less maintenance, Better dealer network here than other outboard manufactures from Japan, and if needed I can work on it my self. Oh! I can buy performance reeds to get more power out of it. 8) But I think I'll leave it just as it is. Plenty of power for me.

I had a 1995 Yamaha 15 2-stroke that had lots of hours on and it never gave me problems. I just serviced it when required. Water pump impellers are very easy to put in these 15's. All I know is these Yamaha 2-stroke engines have been proven around the world and they are one of the most sought after 15hp engines in Australia.

I'd stick with those engines as well. You aren't going to beat a carbed 2 stroke in simplicity, reliability, longevity, weight...ity (had to keep the pattern going :lol: ), etc. Well, maybe fuel consumption...ity.

Let's get back on the original subject here.
I tried and tried and tried to find a saving grace for modern 2 strokes, now that the EPA has stepped in, and ruined a good thing. But, I can't. The advantages that the 2 strokes used to have just aren't there anymore, and Evinrude has apparently forgotten that rods are supposed to stay inside the block. I really thought Yamaha was going to do it for me, but then they nixed the 2 stroke line altogether. Thus, if buying a new motor, my money's on a 4 stroke, unless you can do like hwew, and find one of the few remaining carbed 2 strokes that a few dealers have.

I'm always going to love my carbed 2 strokes, but there are times where a new/newer motor does make practical sense to own, and in that case, my money is on Honda 4 strokes. Haven't seen anything bad about the Suzi's, but they aren't the most common around here so I couldn't say either way. I'm not very fond of the larger Yamaha 4 strokes. They must have shared a business plan with Evinrude. Mercury will always remain a tainted name in my book. :wink:

Now to stray back off topic.
1-Evinrude 4hp Deluxe

Is that not one of the best little motors you've ever had? Even though the size isn't very practical for much of anything I do, I just love that little motor, and I know quite a few other people who have one, and absolutely love them.

I had a dilema earlier this year. I was looking for a new aluminum rig to fool around with. I had decided on a Mercury 20 4S as power due to the fact that 2S were scarce to unobtainable. The dealer I bought my last boat from happened to have a bunch of Yamaha 15 and 25 2S. Bottom line is I got the 25 Yammie for about what the 20 Merc would have cost. Next motor will be 4S unless new 2S are developed. I'm pleased at what I got and probably would be okay with the 4S. They both have their good points. If manufacturers can get the weight and throttle response to 2 stroke levels then 4S will be hard tobeat.

Hi bassboy1,

If Honda has a good network in your area than that is the engine you should go with. Nothing is more frustrating in the boating season than not being able to get service or parts for an outboard.

The Evinrude 4hp Deluxe is the best 4hp motor I ever had. I still think it is one of the best 4hp engines out there.
Evinrude got that engine right. 2 cylinder 2-stroke with a large flywheel made it a smooth running engine at low speeds. It was a great trolling motor. It would troll for hours with no plug fouling. And it had F-N-R and it wieghed 50 pounds. That is quite light for an over built 4 hp engine. I beleive it uses the same gearcase as the 2 -stroke 6 and 8 hp Evinrudes. And sadly they were all discontinude in 1995.

Henry

whitedog59 said:
I had a dilema earlier this year. I was looking for a new aluminum rig to fool around with. I had decided on a Mercury 20 4S as power due to the fact that 2S were scarce to unobtainable. The dealer I bought my last boat from happened to have a bunch of Yamaha 15 and 25 2S. Bottom line is I got the 25 Yammie for about what the 20 Merc would have cost. Next motor will be 4S unless new 2S are developed. I'm pleased at what I got and probably would be okay with the 4S. They both have their good points. If manufacturers can get the weight and throttle response to 2 stroke levels then 4S will be hard tobeat.

The weight is getting down a bit on 4-strokes.

I think variable cam timing would be a big help for 4-stroke engines.

On the other hand I don't know if it is rumor, and I posted this before, I think some company is working on portable 2-stroke, computer controled electronic fuel direct injected motors.

Now that would be nice.

Henry

Suzuki's cars and motorcycles both are absolute junk, as well as their outboards. suzsucky if you ask me. When it comes to cars and trucks Chevy. Dirtbikes honda. Motorcycles Harley, Streetbikes, Buell. Outboards Yamaha or Johnson. This is just my opinion. if yours is different dont be harsh about it.

Game on!!!

Home Grown Basser said:
Suzuki's cars and motorcycles both are absolute junk, as well as their outboards. suzsucky if you ask me.
Who exactly did ask you? What facts do you have to back that statement up? Why are they junk?

Home Grown Basser said:
When it comes to cars and trucks Chevy.
Because Japanese cars have much lower quality than American cars? Or is it that the Chevy S10 was based on an Isuzu pup, and the Geo Prizm came off the Toyota Corolla line? Maybe because Saturn Vues (a GM product like Chevy) used Honda engines.

Home Grown Basser said:
Dirtbikes honda.
Maybe, maybe not.

Home Grown Basser said:
Motorcycles Harley, Streetbikes, Buell.
Is that why they’re always stopped on the side of the road? Nope, Harley riders stop to enjoy the view…they’re never broken down.

Home Grown Basser said:
Outboards Yamaha or Johnson.
Very interesting. Yamaha does make a great product. However…you know who made those portable Johnson outboards for a decade or two? SUZUKI, yep, their junk!

Here's some proof for you: https://www.rbbi.com/links/outboard.htm 3/4 down the page.
Check your facts before making some dumbass statement.

Home Grown Basser said:
This is just my opinion. if yours is different dont be harsh about it.
Not being harsh at all. Just pointing out where you haven’t thought through your bold statements.

Yes, machines have there up and down sides. However, maintained properly, a machine should last an extremely long time. Often times neglect on the operators part gets substituted for “brand XYZ sucks.”

My momma could whip your momma!

.. and one for bassboy

8593576_mercury_outboard_service_workshop_manual.jpg

:roflmao:

Here is a 4-stroke turbo diesel for you all. :beer:

https://www.megoutboard.com/index.php

Henry

Attachments

• Turbo Diesel Outboard.jpg
    Turbo Diesel Outboard.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 484
Here is a pretty intresting Mercury engine.

https://www.mercurygovsales.com/technology/optimaxjp.php

I hope we will be seeing some new stuff soon.

Lets hope the outboard manufactures will invest more on R&D.

Henry

Latest posts