2000 50HP 2-stroke fuel injected

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Queencitybassman said:
Alright i mounted that motor on the boat today.. took three people..
Dang - I had to load mine myself last time - just about didn't make it all the way up there because the dang motor was tilted a bit.

Randomely I hooked the battery motor up to the boat this morning and both tilt and trim were working perfectly. On the bad side i had my car broken into last night and lost a good amount of cash not to mention other things so this fix may have to be on hold :(

That sucks. Are you in Charlotte? I think I saw that motor on craigslist, hope you get it going. That will be a great deal alright.

Yup it was on charlottes craigslist. I have run into my first problem. Since last posting.. I have mounted the motor which was a pain but Its done and sealed right. I have changed the lower unit gear oil. Replaced spark plugs with brand new ones. Given the motor fresh oil. I have also given the the motor fresh gasoline. Finally after weeks.. I hooked it up to some ears only to hear it turn over but not start. Cranked it and no go. It turns over and sounds like it wants to start. Checked the spark plugs and I am not seeing any fuel getting to them, they seem to not be getting anything. I have two conclusions that I think it may be the carberators being gummed up and should be taken off and cleaned. Or it is an electrical problem and the choke is not getting fuel to the spark plugs. Called a mechanic buddy and he told me try using "ether" on the carbs and see if it will start. I have not used the seafoam yet but I dont think that will fix it.. ideas and questions?

Or option three.. The spark plugs are **** cause the person at the store didn't have the same name brand of the original so I got the same size by autolite.. But would that prevent my outboard from starting up?

Do not spray ether in your carb........... l am shocked :shock: that a mechanic would suggest that. [-X instead get a cheap water spray bottle and put some mixed gas in it. Use the mixed gas to spray in the carbs. Also to be safe put a few drops of oil down each cylinder, as it has been sitting a long while. If your not sure about the plugs call a boat shop and ask what plugs it is supposed to take. I run nothing but NGK, as the rest have never proven to me reliable. Have you pulled apart the fuel pump yet? It may need cleaned out from sitting and gumming up. Same goes for the carbs.

Well I looked into the ether and did not get great reviews from using it so I think I'll opt away from that. I have not taken the fuel pump apart just yet cause I am worried about screwing it up so far I have done all the work myself but they were all things I've done before

Mercs are notoriously hard starting. I would say especially so for one that has been in mothballs that long.

Something that you might check as I'm not sure when they started using this... turn the key over but not so far that the engine turns over. Push the key in and release it and see if you can hear the motor click. That is the choke/prime on newer 2 stroke Mercs. I have to raise the neutral throttle lever about 1/3 and pump the key from 3 to 5 times for mine to fire off. If it fires and tries to die, just push the key and let off again. The carbs may be loaded after that so you may have to let the motor run on the lever for a little bit to "clear it's throat", so to speak. Don't give it too much gas with the neutral throttle lever or you'll flood it out (or cause the rpm's to go through the roof).

After mine has been sitting for several days, I can turn it over until the cows come home and it won't start until I prime it with the key.

Then again... your carbs may be a gummed up mess from sitting that long, too.

Yeah well i tried it again this morning.. all im hear is it not getting gas seems like same noise you get when you run out of gas in a car. Checked the spark plugs and they are staying dry.. i have the throttle lever up about half way and I choked it 3-4 times and then i turn it still choked. But spark plugs are still getting no fuel. Do you think seafoam would help that? I have bad ears so I cannot tell if something is clicking when i choke it. If it is not clicking that means its an electrical issue right? And if it is clicking when i choke it.. it is probally a carb issue right?

Seafoam won't help it unless you can get some fuel circulating.

It could be an electrical issue if the choke/prime is not clicking. You can definitely hear mine but it is not very loud. You might get someone to listen to it for you to see if they can hear it.

I have never checked my plugs without priming to see if fuel is getting to them but I know for sure that it won't start without priming if it has been sitting idle for more than a couple of days.

How is the primer bulb on your line from the tank? Is it holding pressure?

Pushing the key on the newer Mercs is a choke/prime system. You push the key 3 to 5 times to prime it. If yours isn't working for some reason, it isn't getting primed.

You should be flooding the motor if you are pushing the key a lot and then trying to crank it with the key held in as well... if the prime/choke system is working. I would think that at least one carb would be flowing a little fuel and wetting a plug if it was a dirty carb issue.

Shoot a bit of mixed gas into the cylinders and see if you can get it to start.

If you're not getting fuel I would spray fuel from a spray bottle directly in the carb as you crank it, that way you know you are getting fuel there. I would use fresh pre mixed fuel.

Queencitybassman said:
if it was an electrical problem with the choke what is the best way to go about fixing it?

Outside of checking all of the connections... take it to a repair shop. :lol:

I'm pretty good with the mechanical end of these things but the wiring is usually a mess and I've never had to dig into one of mine very deeply... knock on wood. I hope that I don't have to.

Is the bulb on your fuel line holding pressure?

Yeah its tough ive already missed half the bass fishing summer and its killing me. Yeah the bulb seems to be getting pressure okay. I cant afford a dang mechanic thats for sure. What do you think is the best plan of action.

It is either in the carbs or your choke/prime system.

Flip a coin and tackle one or the other.

I would shoot some fuel into each cylinder and see if I could get the thing to fire.

Well i cant seem to get the spark plugs wet. I tried putting a couple drops of fuel in each cylinder is that too little? Also tried to check the choke button i could be wrong but I didnt hear any clicking noises when me and the wife tried. :(