2000 G3 1548 Aluminum Conversion

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D2VW14_20

Reaction score
I joined the forum a few days ago after seeing some conversion on YouTube. Well, today, with the help of the fiancee, I decide to begin to take mine, or attempt to, lol. So fare it going pretty good. I had some fence panels on the bottom and sides i had to remove, and then grind down some of the rusted pieces. Then I vacuumed and blew out the boat.Then I began to cut out the pieces and then cut out the carpet. After cutting the carpet, my girl painted on the glue, laid the wood on the carpet, and pressed it down. Then, I cam behind her and stapled the back side. Due to inclement weather, we had to quit a little short. got most of it done, but will hopefully finish the rest tomorrow. Just thought Id share.

*I still need to finish the sides, the back seat, and the gas/battery area.

IMG-20110703-00155.jpg

IMG-20110703-00156.jpg

IMG-20110703-00158.jpg

IMG-20110703-00159.jpg

2011-07-03_21-15-58_66.jpg

2011-07-03_21-16-13_923.jpg

2011-07-03_21-16-20_109.jpg

Looks great =D>

The only question I have, and it's because I forgot to do this on one of my mods, is did you notch the floor around the side ribs? If you are putting sides on the boat, it won't matter, but if you don't, a small blue gill may happen to find it's way down there....

Thanks. I plan on putting sides on that will meet flush with the bottom floor. That way hopefully nothing will fall through or underneath. I plan hopefully on finishing it tonight after our get togethers today. Ill post pictures when I can get it finished. Appreciate the support!!

Finished most of it up today. A few fine tuning things left, but pretty much done for now. Still have to build the livewell though, as well as my switch box.

IMG-20110704-00160.jpg

IMG-20110704-00166.jpg

IMG-20110704-00169.jpg

IMG-20110704-00170.jpg

Good looking job!

I have a 1544 G3, I'm about to work on. I currently just have a pc of plywood in the floor, unattached. It was already there when i got the boat. It has the notches cut out around the ribs. I have been thinking of how to address that. I thought of doing exactly what you did with your sides, but wasn't sure how it would come out. I'm glad to see the pics of yours.
How much gap is there at the top of your sidewalls and the sides of the boat? Are you happy with how it came out??
I was hoping I could get it to flush out under the rail.....but I don't think I could pull that off with plywood.

Thanks. It could have almost came flush, but as you can see in a a few of the pictures, I keep my dipnet and oars behind there, that way its out of the floor and out of the way. The sides I put on there are 11.5 inches tall. I have them on top of the floor. Also, on the one side, I have a few Plano boxes with baits in it. I like the idea of them being open.

Good idea.....I'll have to play around with it to see what I come up with.
Also, the rear deck you have between the rear bench and transom.....is that built to be stood on? If so, did you just from it with wood also?
I couldn't tell from the pics....
Thanks, again......and the advice on the carpet. :mrgreen:

No, the back isnt built to be stood on. I just put them there to keep the gas and batteries out of the sunlight. I took l shaped aluminum and put a piece on the bench and a piece on the transom, and then put velcro on the aluminum. That way, then I set the board on there, the carpet sticks to the velcro. Just used 3/4 inch screws. Hope your project works out! Keep us updated.

Gotcha!
Thanks for the help. I'm thinking I'm going to build mine up to be able to be stood on.
Obviously, still trying figure out exactly what I want to do. Don't want to get finished and then wish I had done something different......but I'm sure I will anyway. #-o

I had a 12" light from Walmart that worked, but the shaft broke. So I took a piece of PVC and painted black, then spliced the wires and then added wire, and then connected the broken pieces with the PVC. No its 35" instead of 12". I need to put it on a flatter part of the boat though. LOL, not a fan of the lean.

IMG-20110705-00177.jpg

D2VW14_20 said:
I had a 12" light from Walmart that worked, but the shaft broke. So I took a piece of PVC and painted black, then spliced the wires and then added wire, and then connected the broken pieces with the PVC. No its 35" instead of 12". I need to put it on a flatter part of the boat though. LOL, not a fan of the lean.

IMG-20110705-00177.jpg

Very similar to what i did!

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=20729

oh yeah... what's with the pink nail polish? :?

z0mbie f1sherman said:
D2VW14_20 said:

Very similar to what i did!

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=20729

oh yeah... what's with the pink nail polish? :?

Lol, I figured someone would point that out. Earlier that morning I have to take the drive shaft out of my truck, and I didnt have a soap stone so I used the nail polish to mark the shaft to the ujont to the housing so I could line it up correctly when I put it back in, lol. Good eye, Good eye.

D2VW14_20 said:

IMG-20110705-00177.jpg

You could always use a heat gun to bend the PVC so that it is straight up and down instead of having to move the entire thing.

mightymite45 said:
Wow, when you decide to modify a boat you don't play around. Nice job and quick !!!

I have alot of spare time after work. A few nights and she was done! Thanks for the kind words! I appreciate it!

Took her out on the water yesterday for the first time. Did great! Much more comfortable. And caught about 60 Sunfish and Blue Gill.