2009 15hp merc 4stroke/what would u pay?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not really sure yet.I have been throwing around a bunch of different oils.But when i decide what to run in the lower unit and the engine oil i will post it for sure.Right now the motor was just broke in and the owner said he went to a merc dealer and got a oil change and filter,plus the lower unit oil changed.Get this they charged him,now sit back and just wow this,$145 for a filter,oil for the engine and lower unit,that is nuts.The filter at walmart is $8 and the lower unit oil and engine oil together[merc oil of course]is only like $16 for both,so thats $24 for the parts and oil and $121 for labor.

I couldn't say anything to him as i did not want to make him feel bad.For peaks sake i can get the most expensive synthetic oil on the market and filter and still be around $30 to $40.The motor only takes one quart and lower unit is around 14 to 18 ounces if i'm correct and the filter is nothing in a merc.I did a 2009 9.9hp 4stroke in under 30min leting just about every drop come out of both the engine and lower unit and replacing everything also not ever doing it before.

I hate most marinas they just rip people off,it makes me sick.I am learning how to do all my own work on a cheap motor that barely runs i found on craigslist for $75,this way i can learn all the ins and outs of the basics that most people get rid of their motors for like fuel probs,spark probs,carb probs and u get my drift,i have bought every seloc book for almost every major engine company from 2.5hp to 25hp and i will start buying cheaper motors that have these kind of probs and if it is a easy fix then i will sell them as a running motor and if not then i will just part them out.

Belive it or not most of the time u can make more money parting out these motors then selling them running.Well i will check the engine oil and lower unit oil just to see how it looks.

Well got the motor today and can't wait to clean her up and make her shine like new.

You mean anchors away,formally known as boater.Pics coming today or tonight as i need to clean her up a little.One more question on this motor,what is the best chemical or type of wax or a cleaner to buff it out real nice and make it shine like new.

Does anyone ever clean their motor up every once in a while?What do u guys use and what do u think is the best product out there for cleaning outboards up?There is a few scratches or i would say like blemishes on it i would like to take out if i can so i want to know how to do that,If i try to clean the blemishes up like just rubing my finger over them they start to fade a little so whatever is on the cowl besides a few small scratches will come out but i want to wax her up and clean her up nice.Thanks for any info.

anchors away said:
Does anyone ever clean their motor up every once in a while?What do u guys use and what do u think is the best product out there for cleaning outboards up?

I use a garden hose...

I'm talking about a type of wax that buffs the paint out nice so the motors paint won't fade.I found what i needed,i bought some meguiar's fix and scratch and wow one coat and it looks like it came out of the showroom and then i put some meguiar's spray wax detailer and it looks like it has never been used and the water beads off like rain x.

I like to make my stuff look good espically when it should look as new as possible with little use.Do this twice a yr and the paint won't fade for a long time if at all.I did this to all my new motors and they always looked new because i take care of everything i have.Things tend to last alot longer when u do that.Now if i had a used beat up motor on the outside then a garden hose will do.After i'm done using it in saltwater i rinse it down with a hose then i coat the whole motor with a lubricant everytime under the cowl[meaning engine] and outside and my motor never gets any corrosion at all.I don't know maybe i'm different then most people but i want my stuff to last.

Well here she is after a nice wax job to spiff her up.What a beauty.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 728
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    145 KB · Views: 728
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    134.3 KB · Views: 728
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG