2009 Mountain Music Kids Tournament - Douglas Lake, TN

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G3_Guy

Reaction score
Well I awoke this morning to words I love here, "Daddy, is it time to go fishing yet?" If I heard that question once, I heard it at least 150 times between 8 and 10am. :D We finally pulled out around 10:30 and headed to the lake. They were both so excited they could hardly stand it. We got there around 11 and registered and the boys got a large bag each with tons of fishing stuff, snacks, toys and a t-shirt in it. We then headed over to the picnic area for some hot dogs and hamburgers before blast-off at 3pm. We put the boats in the water around 1:30 and idled over to the dam for the boys to swim a little before taking off. We blasted off just a few minutes before 3 and it was on. Headed to the first spot and was only there for a few minutes as the wind was too rough. Headed to spot # 2 and it was a little calmer. 4-5 casts later, I landed our only keeper of the day. It weighed 1.46lbs. We fished several other spots but were only able to land 1 other fish... an 11.5 incher. I have to give props at this point to my 4 year old son... for 4 straight hours in the burning hot sun, he matched me cast for cast. Never said, dad I'm tired... dad, I want to quit or dad, I want to go home. All I heard was dad, when are we going to catch a fish... dad, hurry and catch one so I can wind him in. This years funny quote came right after I had landed the first fish. I said, Cole, Praise the Lord we finally got a keeper in the boat... to which he replied... yep, Praise the Lord we finally did daddy. :lol: We had a great time! My dad and my oldest son fished together as they do each year and they ended up with 1 keeper as well. It went 1.36. (We'll take win over dad and older brother any day) :D We came back in at 7pm, weighed our one little fish, loaded the boats and parked. We then sat and watched as the places were announced and the prizes were given away. To our surprise, we ended up 73rd our 400 boats and my youngest got a $100 bill for his efforts for the day. He was so excited (see pic below). My oldest didnt place in the money but he did get a nice stereo for his efforts. Each of the 400 kids who participated walked away winning cash or got a great prize... they gave away new bikes, stereos, tvs, dvd players, tackle boxes, rods & reel and lots more! Lots of smiles all around. The winning weight for the tournament was weighed by Bryant Ailor and Seth Armstrong, they had 3 fish that went 10+lbs, including a 5+lb lunker. Congrats to them on a nice bag! A big thanks to everyone who helped put this event on... from the sponsors to the volunteers. It has been and continues to be a great event that my boys look forward to each year. Thank you all and God Bless!

Below are a few pics from the day. I've also included a link to all the pics which you can view when you have time.

https://www.new.facebook.com/album.php?aid=51148&id=1503425564&l=bccc7373a6

Team Skeeter (Dad & Cam) & Team G3 (Me & Cole)
IMG_2882.jpg

Cam's 1.36lb LM
IMG_2919.jpg

Cole's 1.46lb LM
IMG_2926.jpg

Cole showing off his winnings...
IMG_2942.jpg

=D> sounds like it was a great toury for the youngsters, bet it was great not hearing any complaints. Just wondering how big is douglas lake, 400 boats sounds like there would be a lot of traffic out there.

400 boats,wow.
Sounds like there was lots of fun to be had.
Congrats to the young fella and way to get them both out there.

Thanks guys. It was a great time! It was my Dad and oldest son's 4th year in a row and mine and my youngest son's 2nd year in a row. They always love fishing in it.

slim357 said:
=D> Just wondering how big is douglas lake, 400 boats sounds like there would be a lot of traffic out there.

Hey Slim, Douglas is a 30,600-acre reservoir with 555 miles of shoreline. It's probably one of, if not the, busiest lake in East TN.... lot's of pressure in the warmer months.