20HP vs 25HP

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do any of you by chance with a 9.9 that can tell me how well that motor will push a 1448 jon w/2 adults and gear? I may buy a 9.9 this summer for the restricted lakes in my area but don't want to plow my way around the lake.

The boat dry is around 290# from the info I found.

Happy New Year!

retiredff said:
Do any of you by chance with a 9.9 that can tell me how well that motor will push a 1448 jon w/2 adults and gear? I may buy a 9.9 this summer for the restricted lakes in my area but don't want to plow my way around the lake.

With restricted lakes in your area it'd be a good idea to pick up a 9.9 motor when you can(you can never have to many motors). I picked up a 9.9 evinrude76 with a 15hp carb for $200 to run some of our restricted lakes. This 9.9 has no problem with getting my 1648 jon to plane. I've only ran with me and my camping gear but those 9.9's can surprise you.

retiredff said:

The boat dry is around 290# from the info I found.

Happy New Year!

I would count on about 12-15 mph, depending on the motor. Some of those old Johnnyrudes from the 70's are bulletproof, but weak, so maybe less. Any of the 1985 or newer 2 stroke 9.9s should get you in the 12-15 mph range with 2 people and gear, 16-22mph by yourself. I cant speak for the 4 strokes though, as Ive never had or ran one.

Theres nothing wrong with having a 9.9 as your only motor. Most of the 9.9s can be upgraded to a 15, and then add a jack plate to get a couple more mph. I did this with my last set up. I got up to 27mph in my 1448, but I just got tired of it when I had 2 people in the boat and topping out at 17mph. Nonetheless, it got me from point A to point B rather effectively. Fortunately for me, all the lakes around here went to a "No Wake" rather than a HP restriction, so I went ahead and put a 25 back on mine.

Let us know what you decide to do. Good luck bro.

I will buy a 25 this or next month. I will buy a 9.9 this summer when I find a deal I can't refuse! :wink:

Change of plans:

I found a 92 Merc 9.9, 2 stroke, short shaft in great shape for $400. I had a local mechanic do a tune up, replace pump, check lower unit for water, adjust carb and seafoam engine for another $200. I will replace lower unit oil w/Amsoil and will use Amsoil to mix w/gas.

As soon as the water is NO LONGER FROZEN, I will test this motor on my 1448!

I would go with the 25hp for sure, and add a whales tail to the motor, will help a bunch getting on plane.
And i am sitting here thinking about all the ice and snow and thankful I'm not in it at all.!!
Hate to make all yall mad, but I went fishing this morning, it was approx 45 or so, and FOR SURE NO ICE. I did not have a bump, but all blue skyes and lots of sun, got a little sun burned though. The North wide has pushed out a lot of the water in the bays here. The water tempature was 48 degrees. But like I always say " a bad day fishing is a heck of lot better than a good day at the office any day"

rusty.hook said:
I would go with the 25hp for sure, and add a whales tail to the motor, will help a bunch getting on plane.
And i am sitting here thinking about all the ice and snow and thankful I'm not in it at all.!!
Hate to make all yall mad, but I went fishing this morning, it was approx 45 or so, and FOR SURE NO ICE. I did not have a bump, but all blue skyes and lots of sun, got a little sun burned though. The North wide has pushed out a lot of the water in the bays here. The water tempature was 48 degrees. But like I always say " a bad day fishing is a heck of lot better than a good day at the office any day"
There's nothing more fun than running your boat through 1.5+ inches of ice on your way to the duck blind.

I ran a 25 EV on my 1436 Wareagle all weld in the river for years. Buddy had the same boat with a 20. No comparison. The 25 was much more motor even with me being bigger than he was. It was almost too much motor for the boat. Added a SS prop and some motor work to it and it would scare you in the small rivers back home.

Have to remember on the newer Mercs its 25hp at the prop compared to 20hp at the flywheel as on the older ones.I have both motors & there is a huge difference between the 2.
Most outboard manufactures started rating the hp at the propshaft in the mid 80's as stated.

I just bought a 1988 20 hp Merc from a guy who upgraded his motor to a 2009 25 hp Yami. He said his top end speed was identical by GPS. He got a great deal on the Yami though (and of course, it's a 2009) so he sold the '88 to me. The '88 Merc will be a BIG improvement over my '71 18 hp 'Rude though!

He was a little disappointed though that he didn't see a bigger improvement in performance. But if it were me, I would max out the HP to what the hull is rated for.

I have a 1976 9.9 Johnson with the 15hp carb. By myself it will run 22mph and with 2 people it will do 17, but struggles to get up on plane. I'm 235lbs and my buddy that was with me is probably 240-250lbs.

thanks _99,

That makes me feel better buying the '92 merc 9.9. I'm 180# and my fishing bud is near the same. I opted for the 9.9 because there are more restricted lakes that I will fish than the large unrestricted lakes. Two of the large lakes have idle or 5mph areas away from the ski areas. If for some reason the 9.9 does not work out I can upgrade to a 25HP.

Latest posts